• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Aasimar, Crafting Rules, and more in Gameinformer Magazine feature

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Do they? I've seen so little art of gnomes in 5E that I can even think of that I wouldn't have thought of that.
My grandfather used to say "Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner!"

Say what yoy will about WotC, but they follow art style guides religiously. 5E G ones have inhuman triangular faces with sharp faces and long ears, with add gangly limbs that are misproportionally thin and long, like so:

636272671553055253.png
4087efb8cafff55776acfefd3c71d5d1.jpg
DFMegs1UMAACBXG.jpg
525px-Pickpocket.jpg

mamba

Legend
If the proportions were accurate to a human adult, nothing in the picture would indicate that she’s a halfling as opposed to a human. Halflings either need different proportions than humans, or other characters and/or objects for scale reference in every picture they’re featured in.
larger or hairy feet? Right now the difference to a human is that you do not expect a 5 year old to be an adventurer, that is not really much of a distinction either, depending on the scene you want to depict

Parmandur

Book-Friend
larger or hairy feet? Right now the difference to a human is that you do not expect a 5 year old to be an adventurer, that is not really much of a distinction either, depending on the scene you want to depict
The musculature is adult, even if the proportions are still somewhat childish (bit a weird exagerarion).

My grandfather used to say "Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner!"

Say what yoy will about WotC, but they follow art style guides religiously. 5E G ones have inhuman triangular faces with sharp faces and long ears, with add gangly limbs that are misproportionally thin and long, like so:

View attachment 363300View attachment 363301View attachment 363302View attachment 363303
So the bottom one is a halfling, right? Because she has nowt in common with the rest - she just looks like a pretty woman who is very small - she doesn't even have the same distinctive ears as the rest. Whereas the first and third are freakish and hideous but definitely have a specific look - not one I think any gnome-fan actually likes, at all - but a distinctive one. The second one is only obviously a gnome not a halfling because of the ears.

I will also say I do not think I have ever seen any of these illustrations except the first one.

mamba

Legend
also

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So the bottom one is a halfling, right? Because she has nowt in common with the rest - she just looks like a pretty woman who is very small - she doesn't even have the same distinctive ears as the rest. Whereas the first and third are freakish and hideous but definitely have a specific look - not one I think any gnome-fan actually likes, at all - but a distinctive one. The second one is only obviously a gnome not a halfling because of the ears.

I will also say I do not think I have ever seen any of these illustrations except the first one.
Nope, aGnome, distinct from the head shape and limb proportions (particularly the lack of small feet I'm that case). That's a mix from the PHB, but the exploded face Gnome is from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If you would mistake this character for a 5-year-old, I question if you’ve ever actually seen a child, or just heard them described.

Remove ads