• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Anyone worried about the idea that "75 Feats" will make Session Zero a slog - you don't go looking through 75 feats at Level 1. You pick a background and it gives you a feat. You can custom-make a background, but that's only if you WANT to add that level of complexity. Similarly, you can STILL take ASIs at Level 4, etc.

For those that don't like Feats, they're still essentially optional - your background feature is just feat-like now. (In that it's called "a feat" and actually does more than free room and board).
Not at all worried, the idea it would make session zero "a slog" seems preposterous in fact. I say that as someone who runs d&d both for experienced players as well as a high number of players with absolutely zero knowledge. I'm not even sure how it could cause the problem you are spreading fear by just asking questions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Anyone worried about the idea that "75 Feats" will make Session Zero a slog - you don't go looking through 75 feats at Level 1. You pick a background and it gives you a feat. You can custom-make a background, but that's only if you WANT to add that level of complexity. Similarly, you can STILL take ASIs at Level 4, etc.

For those that don't like Feats, they're still essentially optional - your background feature is just feat-like now. (In that it's called "a feat" and actually does more than free room and board).
Yeah, only some will be available at Level 1 anyways.

dave2008

Legend
The lack of level 8 and above feats alone show that there aren't enough feats
IDK, I like the one size fits all of feats. I prefer they get rid of lvl on feats and fill that mechanical niche with something else. Since it is in the backgrounds, just call them background features. Then every actual feat has no level restriction / requirement. They are just feats.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
IDK, I like the one size fits all of feats. I prefer they get rid of lvl on feats and fill that mechanical niche with something else. Since it is in the backgrounds, just call them background features. Then every actual feat has no level restriction / requirement. They are just feats.
I mean, that is essentially the only thing the Level distinction does: differentiate Feats that a Level 1 character might base their personality around from picky power Feats like Sharpshooter or Polearm Master.

dave2008

Legend
off topic, I would sooner remove ASIs from leveling than feats.

ASIs are mechanically required to keep up with CRs but soooo boring.
just have everyone start with 18,16,14,14,12,10 ability scores and keep it that way.
Actually, you don't need ASI to keep up (at least in 5e). We cap scores at 18 and are considering 16 for our next campaign. No issues. I would even argue it works better with MM or most official monsters this way.

PS - I forgot to mention that we don't allow strait +2 ASI either. If you get a +1 from a Feat, that is OK - but no +2 ASI! So our characters are mostly rolling with their original stats.

dave2008

Legend
I mean, that is essentially the only thing the Level distinction does: differentiate Feats that a Level 1 character might base their personality around from picky power Feats like Sharpshooter or Polearm Master.
I know, but because people see the word "feat" they jump to all types of assumptions which I prefer to avoid

We've never really recovered from the original sin of conflating ASIs and feats to begin with. It might have worked, if accuracy was somehow stripped out of the equation.

Never understood why it had to be a choice and not just let people have both. It was one of my first changes because it was always a bad choice to have to make.

Remove ads