• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

GrimCo

Adventurer
-5/+10 were a problem at level 1, level 4 and level 8, maybe not later when HPs of monsters got really high together with AC
-5 to hit is big deal since 17 str/dex is highest you can get at lv1-3, which means you have +0 to hit. Punny goblin has AC15. Hobgoblin has AC18. Gwm isn't that good until you get attacking stat mod at +4/+5 and prof mod at least +4. Yes, +10 damage is huge, but you will miss more often than not.
at low levels when most damage can be 1d4+2 or 1d6+2, difference between 2 or 3 damage reduction can be noticed.
Yes, but scaling with prof mod is better in the long run.

Besides, how many characters even get feat at level 1? By RAW i mean.

Horwath

Legend
-5 to hit is big deal since 17 str/dex is highest you can get at lv1-3, which means you have +0 to hit. Punny goblin has AC15. Hobgoblin has AC18. Gwm isn't that good until you get attacking stat mod at +4/+5 and prof mod at least +4. Yes, +10 damage is huge, but you will miss more often than not.

Yes, but scaling with prof mod is better in the long run.

Besides, how many characters even get feat at level 1? By RAW i mean.
variant human,
custom lineage,

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I guess I'll figure out how many feats are enough if and when I finally see the 2024 PHB and see if I like what they've done them (I haven't been following UA) because I don't like them as they currently exist and have considered re-writing them all (to give them all prerequisites and put them in line more with my style of play power-wise) since I first started with 5E.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
All of these are old problems, right? We've seen what they intend to do with feats in playtest, and had the opportunity to give feedback.
None of this is new with the information that we now have a hard number.

We can agree that some people won't like the implementation, or think it's not thought-through enough. The designers have shown what they think, and their answers possess an internal consistency.

We can hope. Telekinetic was a great feat, and I want it included. What I suspect, however, is that there will be only about ten new feats, if we are lucky. For some that will be too much; for some, too little. My point is that "75" seems like a lot, but it isn't.
What difference does it make if a particular feat from WotC 5e makes it into the 5.2 books? It's all supposedly the same game right?

Belen

Adventurer
What difference does it make if a particular feat from WotC 5e makes it into the 5.2 books? It's all supposedly the same game right?
True. Everything is meant to be compatible. The main issue is that half editions always include power creep so some players will discount the older content.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The promise of 75 feats announced in the Gameinformer Magazine feature sounds promising, but I'm not sure it actually represents a big step forward. Let's tally what we've seen. (In some ways this is an update of the survey I did on feats post-Playtest 7, last September.)

Level 1 Feats:
10 Level-1 feats in PT 1 and 2.
5 feats without ASI in Tasha's.
6 Fighting styles in PT 6, framed as feats.

Level 4 feats:
1 ASI, framed as a feat.
29 feats with a +1 ASI in the playtest materials.
10 feats with a +1 ASI in Tasha's.

Epic feats: considered, but then removed.

So if the feats from Tashas were all brought into the game (in a revised form or not), and including fighting styles, we have good reason to believe we've seen 61 of the 75 feats.

Of the remaining 14:
  • There are at least 5 fighting styles that could be added from Tasha's. These include unarmed and thrown weapons, which I'd really like to see included. If these were in, we'd really be looking at only 9 things we've not seen.
  • As I noted before, there are three feats in the 2014 PHB we've not seen versions of yet: Dungeon Delver, Linguist, Martial Adept. Possibly that's three more.
  • There could be species-specific feats, like what we saw in Xanathar's. I hope there aren't, but it's a possibility.

Of course I don't know whether everything from Tasha's will be included, but if it were (and I think it's a fair guess), then the amount of new feats may increase slightly, but not a lot.

All that's to say, 75 feats sounds like a lot, but I am not actually sure it will make as big a difference as it might have done.
Your math sounds about right, but that seems more than ample IMO. Some of the Tasha's Feats are definitely not coming over (Artificer Initiate and Gunner, probavly, considering there is no Artificer and guns are juat standard issue equipment now). That provides a large number of options for character customization.

Remove ads