• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

Horwath

Legend
We always played without feats. As a DM I always gave the option but no one wanted to worry with them. From what little I know of 5e24, feats being somewhat mandatory is one of the two things I didn't like. That and damage on a miss.
you can always take +2 ASI or +1/+1 ASI for the "feat slot"

as for damage on a miss, it would be better if it was half damage if you miss AC by 5 or less, so high AC/low roll still comes into effect, and OFC you cannot trigger and on hit riders; sneak attack, smite, poison, hex, what not...

Because I don't like some stuff at level 1.
what feat is so game breaking at 1st level?
Probably some, probably none. The old polearm mastery or crossbow expert were such feats. Maybe also old GWM or the range equivalent. Maybe you right in your assessment that after the balance pass there is no need anymore.
only one that could possibly be is Heavy armor master and that was reworked from 3 to prof bonus in damage reduction.
Yeah. Which seems to really make the distinction moot.

Horwath

Legend
Because I don't like some stuff at level 1.

Probably some, probably none. The old polearm mastery or crossbow expert were such feats. Maybe also old GWM or the range equivalent. Maybe you right in your assessment that after the balance pass there is no need anymore.
-5/+10 were a problem at level 1, level 4 and level 8, maybe not later when HPs of monsters got really high together with AC
Yeah. Which seems to really make the distinction moot.
at low levels when most damage can be 1d4+2 or 1d6+2, difference between 2 or 3 damage reduction can be noticed.

Belen

Adventurer
this,
I have never seen a player not take a feat at 4th level.

An no feat default is so "popular" that after 2nd campaign of 5E we added bonus feat at 1st level for everyone.
Weird. I seldom see players take feats over the score increases. I think it depends on how much crunch you have in your games.

Belen

Adventurer
Well it depends.

Feats explain "Is my character different?".

Feats often "make up for" the simplicity of the base Ability Score and class system of most editions. And the simplistic races as well.

There was always a drive to this. Before it was weapon specialization and spell school specialization. Then there was weapon speed and attack charts.

I could play a fighter then my fighter either dies or I go into a new campaign, I can play a new fighter that plays different from the last. And what if you have 2 members of the same class. Now you are in direct competition for a role or loot in a cooperative game

Without feats, the onus on mechanical differentiation is placed on the DM who is now forced to hand out crazier loot
This is why you have subclasses. Those give you mechanically different options for classes. I do not mind feats but if 5e started down the crunch path of 3.5 or PF, then I would switch. I do not have time for 3 hour long combats because everyone has their optional crunchy bits and situational items and can never remember their own build.

Remove ads