• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

Horwath

Legend
The lack of level 8 and above feats alone show that there aren't enough feats
maybe,

but does the game needs lvl8 and above feats?

or like the feat Though or Inspiring leader or Healer, can feats be scaled by level or proficiency bonus?
Even the Skilled feat scales as it gives proficiency which by itself scales by level.

I.E.
Metamagic adept is a cool feat at 4th level but later on is very weak, maybe added sorcery points should match proficiency bonus?

or the dreadful Martial adept feat together with superior technique fighting style?
both of them are not worth a quarter feat.

sure, I might like a feat:

+1 ASI
learn one 3rd level spell
gain one 3rd level spell slot

this could be a good 8th level feat. maybe 12th and 16th level version can give 4th and 5th level spells?

but having higher level feats "forces" players to take them instead of maybe cool low level feats

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
problem is still the balance.

What is 1st level feat worth?

are they full feats or half feats without +1 ASI,
would you feel cheated if you take 1st level feat at 4th level without +1 ASI or is it good for 4th level as well as 1st?

Why is there a limit of no +1 ASI for 1st level feat?
Is 18 at 1st level so much overpowered?

would there be an option to take 2 feats without ASI's together instead of one feat with +1 ASI?

why in seven hells are feats and ASI's still in shared resource pool?

why is Fighting style feat a full feat when it's barely worth half a feat?
All of these are old problems, right? We've seen what they intend to do with feats in playtest, and had the opportunity to give feedback.
None of this is new with the information that we now have a hard number.

We can agree that some people won't like the implementation, or think it's not thought-through enough. The designers have shown what they think, and their answers possess an internal consistency.

will we get more feats like Telekinetic that can be used in all pillars of play and not be overpowered and have great flavor?

We can hope. Telekinetic was a great feat, and I want it included. What I suspect, however, is that there will be only about ten new feats, if we are lucky. For some that will be too much; for some, too little. My point is that "75" seems like a lot, but it isn't.

teitan

Legend
Does the game need feats? I have always allowed them when running 5e but also have done some one shots where no feats were taken and nothing was missed. I don't want a return to 3.x and 4e where feats dominated the game and it was about "builds" instead of actual character. I moved from D&D to DCC because Goodman handled the feat question elegantly in mighty deeds and how the classes worked and his luck mechanic(s). I love 5e but after the simplicity of OSE/BX and DCC my group has said no more Starfinder, Pathfinder, etc and 5e needs to avoid that pitfall. That is the way of bloat. ESPECIALLY leveled feats.

Horwath

Legend
Does the game need feats?
I would say yes 100%,
They are more or less like class feats that are not put in a class straitjacket that you are mandatory to take without any questions.

it makes one character of the same class mechanically different from another, and no, subclass in not really enough of a difference.
I have always allowed them when running 5e but also have done some one shots where no feats were taken and nothing was missed. I don't want a return to 3.x and 4e where feats dominated the game and it was about "builds" instead of actual character. I moved from D&D to DCC because Goodman handled the feat question elegantly in mighty deeds and how the classes worked and his luck mechanic(s). I love 5e but after the simplicity of OSE/BX and DCC my group has said no more Starfinder, Pathfinder, etc and 5e needs to avoid that pitfall. That is the way of bloat. ESPECIALLY leveled feats.
Only problem that I can see is inability of designers to make balanced feats so players are left with 2 or 3 "mandatory" builds as everything else is underpowered.

to me, best designed classes in 3.5e were fighter and wizard, even if fighter was underpowered.
you just got your bare chassis of the class and every class got only bonus feats to pick and build the character as you liked.
wizard OFC getting less because of spells, which you also picked what you wanted so they are feats on their own.

5E fighter should be:
extra attack at levels: 5,9,13,17 and feat slots on every level without extra attack.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
maybe,

but does the game needs lvl8 and above feats?

or like the feat Though or Inspiring leader or Healer, can feats be scaled by level or proficiency bonus?
Even the Skilled feat scales as it gives proficiency which by itself scales by level
We learned in 3e that scaling in D&D is more than numbers going up.

A level 12 feat would not be a level 4 feat with bigger numbers.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Does the game need feats? I have always allowed them when running 5e but also have done some one shots where no feats were taken and nothing was missed. I don't want a return to 3.x and 4e where feats dominated the game and it was about "builds" instead of actual character. I moved from D&D to DCC because Goodman handled the feat question elegantly in mighty deeds and how the classes worked and his luck mechanic(s). I love 5e but after the simplicity of OSE/BX and DCC my group has said no more Starfinder, Pathfinder, etc and 5e needs to avoid that pitfall. That is the way of bloat. ESPECIALLY leveled feats.
I couldn't agree with this more than completely!

Fortunately, since feats are optional, you can have all you want, and I can ignore 75, 100, or 1000 of them just as easily. :)

Feats are essential. If you don't have any feats some classes will be absolutely abysmal to play. The system is already suffering from casters being the only classes with actual options as you level up aside from feats. If you remove feats then there won't be ANYTHING else available.

But yeah I'd actually be fine if feats were removed as long as it's done with a plan: The plan would be to reduce class option availability across the board. To do that you could remove all options from casters too. Casters pick a default set of spells at level 1 that they can't change and then as they level up the spells are unlocked gradually. Under this system casters can't learn spells beyond what is predetermined at character creation.

Horwath

Legend
We learned in 3e that scaling in D&D is more than numbers going up.

A level 12 feat would not be a level 4 feat with bigger numbers.
I realize that, that is why I mentioned possible bonus spell feats, but is it good for the game to make really powerful feats than anyone can take on later levels?

sure you can make a feat:

Grow wings:
requires 12th level,
+1 ASI
you grow a pair of wings, your fly speed is equal to your walking speed.

or

Teleporter:
requires 12th level
+1 ASI
you learn Teleport spell. you can cast it once per long rest.

Li Shenron

Legend
All that's to say, 75 feats sounds like a lot, but I am not actually sure it will make as big a difference as it might have done.
I agree. We use PHB and XGtE feats, and I still see more or less the same 5-10 feats taken all the time. It's a sign that the offer is lacking. The total number might seem high, but when players start going through the list to pick a new feat, they quickly realize 90% of them are neither appropriate to their character concept or underwhelming in benefits.

Remove ads