• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 5e Aasimar are in the Players Handbook − what should the flavor be?

Kurotowa

Legend
Current Aasimar lore clearly includes non-human traits that are identifiable as such -
Metallic freckles, luminous eyes, a shadow that's a different color, a halo, rainbow-gleaming skin.
Again, poor visual identification. You look at character art of a dwarf or an orc or a tiefling, and you instantly recognize what they are. A random collection of minor VFX doesn't create a cohesive racial identity or easy character recognition.

I'm not saying that aasimar don't have non-human traits. I'm saying those traits are badly designed and don't create a memorable and easily identified character type, and those are important qualities for a player race to have.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My favorite lore for aasimar is the big question of "What do you do when the world expects you to be perfect?" It goes like this:

Mortals were never meant to go to the outer planes. They're beings of flesh, bone, blood, substance, elements. The outer planes aren't good places for things of substance. Out on the planes, the food you eat is grown from seeds tainted with ideologies, in soil made of microbes with morals, from rain brought by beings of chaos or order. A mortal can live on the planes (well, in certain parts of certain planes, anyway), but life out there changes you, especially over generations, to someone with planar energies in your substance. Your blood has water that might have once flowed in the Styx, your bones have calcium from stones hewn by the gods, your lungs are filled with the numinous clouds of infinite heavens. Over time, people who live on the planes may give birth to planetouched. Tieflings, aasimar, genasi, etc. - these are people (humans, in those cases) who are literally touched by the planes. Most planetouched are born unexpectedly, to parents who are otherwise fairly normal humans, so they don't really have much in the way of independent society. Two aasimar who have kids won't make an aasimar baby. There's no tiefling empire, no genasi village. You could have an ancestor that's a fiend, but you could also just have an ancestor who did a stint in the Nine Hells and in nine generations, you got a tiefling. It's fantasy logic, not biology.

People being people, and the planes being what they are, there's stereotypes. Tieflings are mistrusted, because evil is in their physical forms. They come from places chock full of evil people, where the air and the soil are born of solidified evil. It doesn't matter if your parents were a paladin and a saint, if you were born a tiefling, people are going to have a hard time trusting you, because evil makes you. Of course, the truth is that you're able to choose your path in life just like anyone else. Being a tiefling doesn't mean you're evil any more than being left-handed. But people are people. Just look up the origin of the term "sinister."

Aasimar are the other side of the good/evil coin. Good is in them, in their blood and bones and breath, in their physical form. Just like a tiefling, your choices make you who you are, but Good is in your substance, and people are people. So you're seen as a favored child, a child of destiny, a child chosen by the gods. Even if your parents were pig farmers, now everyone thinks you have a destiny. That you're supposed to be a hero. That you are capable of miracles.

Of course, there's not necessarily any truth to that, and that's where the interesting character dynamics are at play. While tieflings have to struggle with the assumption that they're baby-eating bogeyman (regardless of what they are), aasmiar have to struggle with the assumption that they're somehow more perfect than they really are. Some aasmiar absolutely take advantage of that - petty princelings and self-centered god-emperors who sit on gilded thrones or enjoy the sycophants around them aren't unknown. Some aasmiar struggle more with it - with being flawed people expected to be perfect, with the pressure of having to "save the town" when there's no way to save it, when the forces crushing it are too big or too abstract for one person (and aasimar are still people!) to handle. Others do manage to live up to the reputations, to be the heroes that they are expected to be. Or, somehow, to be the heroes they want to be, regardless of what the world expects of them.

Aasimar characters with this kind of lore struggle with the burden of great expectations, with the assumption that you're going to be a noble and true hero in someone else's eyes. You're alienated from others because they see themselves as unworthy of you, they see you as better than them, they see not who you are, but what they believe you to be. You are put on a pedestal, one that is shaky and unsteady, but not one you asked to be put on. Can you define who you are, or are you going to be defined by others? Can you be the hero you want to be, or the hero they need you to be? Are you a people-pleaser? How do you use your privilege? Are you a disappointment?

This kind of lore is very Planescape-coded, in that it's about how belief doesn't always line up with reality, and in that it's about how you make an identity for yourself out of these big, cosmic ideas that are swirling around. If the world sees you as a Good Person, just because of how you were born, how do you deal with the inevitable guilt of not being enough? I also like that this lore can produce entitled, self-absorbed villains who are entirely too confident of their own correctness, and that those villains can rally otherwise well-meaning people around them ("Look, I know Hilda The Eviscerator is a good person, because just look at the feathers in her hair and the sparkle in her eyes!"). I also like how it works with tiefling lore, and how these two bits fit together to make two different versions of the "birth is not destiny" story. I like to imagine a party with both a tiefling and an aasimar, neither one quite what people would expect, both of them able to play the normies off each other with their narrowminded assumptions.

The "conservative" religious version of some angels tends to be unappealing − either too sexist, homophobic, dictatorship supporting, etcetera.

The Lawful Stupid Paladin ethics are unappealing.

The elevator-music goody-two-shoes is boring.

The fallen angel, including the angel becoming flesh, is a tired trope. A flavor that rejects what Aasimar culture is, offers less information about what that culture actually is. Also, the angels as flesh, sex with angels, and misguided attempts to return to the Garden of Eden come with objections from various reallife religions.
I think the lore I like is kind of close to the last one here, but the emphasis is on how celestial beings are seen as perfectly good, altruistic, benevolent beings, and how you - a mere mortal with pretty eyes or whatever - are also expected to be a kind of that. If everyone thinks you're god's gift to mortals...well, what do you do with that?

I imagine the aasimars in my stories like people with a pure and noble heart, but suffering the worst reputation by fault of toxic people. How to explain it with any example? Let's imagine some soap-opera or romance novel where one of the main strategies used by the villains is destroying the prestige of somebody only because this was an obstacle against their vile plans, or a serious rival and they don't want to allow that enemy faction to rerise again. Something style "the good student with the best grades at class sufering school-bulling", like Lex Luthor trying to destroy Superman's prestige or J.J. Jameson writting in the Daily Globe horrible things about Spiderman as public enemy number one.

And the tielflings aren't rejected but the opposite, the "party stars", the "bad guys who play heavy metal music". The fact there are a lot of tielflings in the top spheres of the economy.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Again, poor visual identification. You look at character art of a dwarf or an orc or a tiefling, and you instantly recognize what they are. A random collection of minor VFX doesn't create a cohesive racial identity or easy character recognition.

I'm not saying that aasimar don't have non-human traits. I'm saying those traits are badly designed and don't create a memorable and easily identified character type, and those are important qualities for a player race to have.
tangential to the actual topic, but i think it would be really interesting to see a setting where all the species aren't immediately identifiable on sight, they keep all their abilities but everyone pretty much just looks like everyone else: dwarves and halflings maybe range on the stockier or shorter side of human but no more than any human might turn out to be, elves don't have pointed ears or an etherial grace, tieflings are like their old versions that look just like people but sometimes have odd supernatural quirks, aasimar blend right in with the crowd, an orc or goliath is no larger than the next person but still retains their strength, genasi don't have fiery hair or earthen skin.

Last edited:

Genas

Villager
I imagine the aasimars in my stories like people with a pure and noble heart, but suffering the worst reputation by fault of toxic people. How to explain it with any example? Let's imagine some soap-opera or romance novel where one of the main strategies used by the villains is destroying the prestige of somebody only because this was an obstacle against their vile plans, or a serious rival and they don't want to allow that enemy faction to rerise again. Something style "the good student with the best grades at class sufering school-bulling", like Lex Luthor trying to destroy Superman's prestige or J.J. Jameson writting in the Daily Globe horrible things about Spiderman as public enemy number one.

And the tielflings aren't rejected but the opposite, the "party stars", the "bad guys who play heavy metal music". The fact there are a lot of tielflings in the top spheres of the economy.

You can illustrate this through characters facing unjust adversity due to their inherent goodness, much like the good student facing bullying in school despite their achievements. In your narrative, the villains could manipulate public perception to tarnish the aasimars' reputations, highlighting themes of prejudice and manipulation for personal gain.

On the other hand, tieflings can be portrayed as charismatic and rebellious figures, akin to "party stars" or "bad boys/girls" who challenge societal norms. Their prevalence in top economic circles adds an interesting layer, showcasing how their unique traits and perspectives can lead to success even in the face of stereotypes.

Using examples like Lex Luthor's vendetta against Superman or J.J. Jameson's biased reporting on Spiderman can provide readers with familiar references while highlighting the complexities of reputation, prejudice, and individual character within your fictional world.

Exploring these themes can add depth to your storytelling, offering readers a nuanced understanding of characters' struggles, triumphs, and the societal forces at play in your narrative universe.

My favorite lore for aasimar is the big question of "What do you do when the world expects you to be perfect?" It goes like this:

Mortals were never meant to go to the outer planes. They're beings of flesh, bone, blood, substance, elements. The outer planes aren't good places for things of substance. Out on the planes, the food you eat is grown from seeds tainted with ideologies, in soil made of microbes with morals, from rain brought by beings of chaos or order. A mortal can live on the planes (well, in certain parts of certain planes, anyway), but life out there changes you, especially over generations, to someone with planar energies in your substance. Your blood has water that might have once flowed in the Styx, your bones have calcium from stones hewn by the gods, your lungs are filled with the numinous clouds of infinite heavens. Over time, people who live on the planes may give birth to planetouched. Tieflings, aasimar, genasi, etc. - these are people (humans, in those cases) who are literally touched by the planes. Most planetouched are born unexpectedly, to parents who are otherwise fairly normal humans, so they don't really have much in the way of independent society. Two aasimar who have kids won't make an aasimar baby. There's no tiefling empire, no genasi village. You could have an ancestor that's a fiend, but you could also just have an ancestor who did a stint in the Nine Hells and in nine generations, you got a tiefling. It's fantasy logic, not biology.

People being people, and the planes being what they are, there's stereotypes. Tieflings are mistrusted, because evil is in their physical forms. They come from places chock full of evil people, where the air and the soil are born of solidified evil. It doesn't matter if your parents were a paladin and a saint, if you were born a tiefling, people are going to have a hard time trusting you, because evil makes you. Of course, the truth is that you're able to choose your path in life just like anyone else. Being a tiefling doesn't mean you're evil any more than being left-handed. But people are people. Just look up the origin of the term "sinister."

Aasimar are the other side of the good/evil coin. Good is in them, in their blood and bones and breath, in their physical form. Just like a tiefling, your choices make you who you are, but Good is in your substance, and people are people. So you're seen as a favored child, a child of destiny, a child chosen by the gods. Even if your parents were pig farmers, now everyone thinks you have a destiny. That you're supposed to be a hero. That you are capable of miracles.

Of course, there's not necessarily any truth to that, and that's where the interesting character dynamics are at play. While tieflings have to struggle with the assumption that they're baby-eating bogeyman (regardless of what they are), aasmiar have to struggle with the assumption that they're somehow more perfect than they really are. Some aasmiar absolutely take advantage of that - petty princelings and self-centered god-emperors who sit on gilded thrones or enjoy the sycophants around them aren't unknown. Some aasmiar struggle more with it - with being flawed people expected to be perfect, with the pressure of having to "save the town" when there's no way to save it, when the forces crushing it are too big or too abstract for one person (and aasimar are still people!) to handle. Others do manage to live up to the reputations, to be the heroes that they are expected to be. Or, somehow, to be the heroes they want to be, regardless of what the world expects of them.

Aasimar characters with this kind of lore struggle with the burden of great expectations, with the assumption that you're going to be a noble and true hero in someone else's eyes. You're alienated from others because they see themselves as unworthy of you, they see you as better than them, they see not who you are, but what they believe you to be. You are put on a pedestal, one that is shaky and unsteady, but not one you asked to be put on. Can you define who you are, or are you going to be defined by others? Can you be the hero you want to be, or the hero they need you to be? Are you a people-pleaser? How do you use your privilege? Are you a disappointment?

This kind of lore is very Planescape-coded, in that it's about how belief doesn't always line up with reality, and in that it's about how you make an identity for yourself out of these big, cosmic ideas that are swirling around. If the world sees you as a Good Person, just because of how you were born, how do you deal with the inevitable guilt of not being enough? I also like that this lore can produce entitled, self-absorbed villains who are entirely too confident of their own correctness, and that those villains can rally otherwise well-meaning people around them ("Look, I know Hilda The Eviscerator is a good person, because just look at the feathers in her hair and the sparkle in her eyes!"). I also like how it works with tiefling lore, and how these two bits fit together to make two different versions of the "birth is not destiny" story. I like to imagine a party with both a tiefling and an aasimar, neither one quite what people would expect, both of them able to play the normies off each other with their narrowminded assumptions.

I think the lore I like is kind of close to the last one here, but the emphasis is on how celestial beings are seen as perfectly good, altruistic, benevolent beings, and how you - a mere mortal with pretty eyes or whatever - are also expected to be a kind of that. If everyone thinks you're god's gift to mortals...well, what do you do with that?
This reminds me of Pathfinder 1st Edition's Blood of Angels and Blood of Fiends. :) Both books did a very nice job of fleshing out both Planetouched Races.

You can illustrate this through characters facing unjust adversity due to their inherent goodness, much like the good student facing bullying in school despite their achievements. In your narrative, the villains could manipulate public perception to tarnish the aasimars' reputations, highlighting themes of prejudice and manipulation for personal gain.

On the other hand, tieflings can be portrayed as charismatic and rebellious figures, akin to "party stars" or "bad boys/girls" who challenge societal norms. Their prevalence in top economic circles adds an interesting layer, showcasing how their unique traits and perspectives can lead to success even in the face of stereotypes.

Using examples like Lex Luthor's vendetta against Superman or J.J. Jameson's biased reporting on Spiderman can provide readers with familiar references while highlighting the complexities of reputation, prejudice, and individual character within your fictional world.

Exploring these themes can add depth to your storytelling, offering readers a nuanced understanding of characters' struggles, triumphs, and the societal forces at play in your narrative universe.

If you want Aasimar adversity what about a Red Wizard that breeds Aasimar to create radiant/sun resistant undead, like Aasimar are the perfect base stalk to create undead from.

What flavor? I'm a big fan of neopolitan.

Joking aside...
I would sooner recomend pairing them with Araoskha and Kenku like options (or the birds from Humblewood), maybe a dash of harpy, focusing on making this into a flying based race than I would spend focusing on making them mini-paladins or mini-clerics.

The two defining features of an angelic being are their wings and their radiance-affinity magic (sometimes manifesting as a halo). The former isn't usually the focus in favor of the latter, but why not? Its something different, widely applicable to many classes, and can be eeasily implemented with so many examples to draw from.

I see no need to tap into the CG eladrin (who are an elvish branch) or the guardinals (better representeed by Shifter-likee option).

Also, I'd personally want to avoid making them just radiance tieflings insteead of fire, necrotic and poison tieflings.

What flavor? I'm a big fan of neopolitan.

Joking aside...
I would sooner recomend pairing them with Araoskha and Kenku like options (or the birds from Humblewood), maybe a dash of harpy, focusing on making this into a flying based race than I would spend focusing on making them mini-paladins or mini-clerics.

The two defining features of an angelic being are their wings and their radiance-affinity magic (sometimes manifesting as a halo). The former isn't usually the focus in favor of the latter, but why not? Its something different, widely applicable to many classes, and can be eeasily implemented with so many examples to draw from.

I see no need to tap into the CG eladrin (who are an elvish branch) or the guardinals (better representeed by Shifter-likee option).

Also, I'd personally want to avoid making them just radiance tieflings insteead of fire, necrotic and poison tieflings.

Neopolitian isn't a flavour, its simply there for folks who can't pick between Strawberry, Vanilla, and Chocolate. Sorry had to be said man, its tasty, but not a flavour.

Remove ads