• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who tried to end the OGL?

TiQuinn

both parties in the US election require undecided voters in undecided states to win and they are both in the process of doubling down trying to make the screaming people on thier bases happy instead of pulling to the undecided centrists who will determine the election. Yes I do think they would because people get stuck in thier bubbles with the people that think like them and most can't imagine that thier bubble is anything but the majority.
Sorry, don’t see the relevance nor am I gonna talk politics.

Voadam

Legend
I don't hold someone responsible for thinking about doing something when I asked them not to do it and they backed off and then some. 🤷‍♂️
That is one way to look at the OGL situation.

Another is that they actually crippled the value of the OGL as a safe haven RPG preservation license.

While they preserved the 5e SRD as a CC release, the threat of WotC taking action to threaten everything using the OGL still exists and can be revived by WotC at any point in the future.

They could eliminate that threat by releasing a version of the OGL with a single additional line saying explicitly and unambiguously that it is irrevocable.

They have not done so and have no plans to do so.

The damage and threat to the OGL is ongoing.

Oofta

Legend
Then what does it matter if they “walked it back and then some?”

I'm not sure it matters to me personally, it would have depended on the actual impact on 3PP if it had been implemented. As it is, it's a policy that was never implemented. No ongoing impact based on their current policy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This isn’t a person, it’s a corporate entity. They’re driven by fiduciary duty and profit motivations. What you’re saying is the kind of logic you put forward when dealing with an individual. What was asked of them was viewed through the lens of the impact on their brand, and their revenue, not on an emotional level. If they thought there was a way they could’ve done it, or could still do it without financial repercussions, they would do so.
Sure, and similarly I never "trusted" them because that has always been true.

Oofta

Legend
That is one way to look at the OGL situation.

Another is that they actually crippled the value of the OGL as a safe haven RPG preservation license.

While they preserved the 5e SRD as a CC release, the threat of WotC taking action to threaten everything using the OGL still exists and can be revived by WotC at any point in the future.

They could eliminate that threat by releasing a version of the OGL with a single additional line saying explicitly and unambiguously that it is irrevocable.

They have not done so and have no plans to do so.

The damage and threat to the OGL is ongoing.

There is no motivation for them to do anything with old releases one way or another. The 3PP for older product is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions that companies like Kobold Press grosses.

But I'm not arguing about this yet again.

TiQuinn

I'm not sure it matters to me personally, it would have depended on the actual impact on 3PP if it had been implemented. As it is, it's a policy that was never implemented. No ongoing impact based on their current policy.
Okay. But does it truly surprise you why others would be mistrustful? Like, really?

Remove ads