• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, two of mine had been as well. Guess they were less than good neighbors to multiple people.

I've ignored/one-way-blocked [...checking...] 38 now-deleted accounts.*

I mostly read here, and I like to keep my reading uncluttered. It keeps me in a happy place, which is mostly what I come here for.

*: I think a struck-out name and a "This user's profile is not available" means deleted for any reason, not necessarily that they've been banned?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
*: I think a struck-out name and a "This user's profile is not available" means deleted for any reason, not necessarily that they've been banned?

An actually deleted account doesn't have a recognizable username - I think it presents as "Guest###" or something. We almost never actually delete accounts.

A name with strikethrough text has been banned, for whatever reason.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I only have two (well, two at my end; I have evidence there's 2-3 people who have me done at the other end), and one of those is gone, too. I don't actually use ignore lightly.
I have 18 people on my ignore list and my enjoyment of the sites is increased because of it. Sometimes people on the ignore list are just a time out ignore that I rescind after a week, in theory, in practice I normally forget.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I mostly read here, and I like to keep my reading uncluttered. It keeps me in a happy place, which is mostly what I come here for.

Which reminds me: Years ago, I muted user "megamania" not because of anything about them, but simply because I desperately wanted to make the title "Happy Haggert* Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within" disappear from my "Latest Posts" feed.

*: [sic!]

And it worked!

Logging out, I see that that thread is still active. Is their another way I can keep that thread out of my life, while un-ignoring megamania?

(Sincere apologies, mega, it's not you - it's me.)

I see that megamania hasn't logged in to ENWorld in nearly 2 years, so it might not matter in their case, but IIRC that's not the only thread I've purged in that manner.

Is there another way to mute/ignore specific threads? It might allow me to reduce my user-ignores.

Last edited:

Remove ads