• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Crowdfunding News – Adventure Time, Campaign Builder, Book of Spirits, and more

This week, I review a sampling of TTRPG crowdfunding campaigns that end between May 9 to 15.

This week, I review a sampling of TTRPG crowdfunding campaigns that end between May 9 to 15. I look at several Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition core and sourcebooks, enough to give a feel for what’s available at Kickstarter, Backerkit, GameFound, and more.

Adventure Time- The Roleplaying Game.png

Adventure Time: The Roleplaying Game from Cryptozoic Entertainment
  • END DATE: Wed, May 15 2024 3:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $220 + S/H for 15 lbs worth of content
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Cartoon Network's Adventure Time as a 5e TTRPG? For fans of the series, this game opens up new options to explore the world and to try a variation on the 5e ruleset. In the core rulebook you’ll find new rules for exploding dice, character origins, and Adventure Twists to make the stories feel like they are a part of the Adventure Time world. Originally intended for the proprietary Yes And rules engine, this campaign offers the more familiar 5e engine, which is likely to work better for some gamers. The campaign provides the core rulebook, adventure book, GM screen, map, dice, and more. If you’re a fan of Adventure Time, check out the campaign page to learn more and check out the stretch goals, each of which adds something special to the game.

Campaign Builder- Dungeons & Ruins.png

Campaign Builder: Dungeons & Ruins from Kobold Press
  • END DATE: Wed, May 15 2024 6:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $99 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of book and map folio
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Kobold Press is offering another Campaign Builder book, this one focused on dungeons. This crowdfunding campaign provides a 256-page hardcover and a 12-poster map folio with VTT components for Roll20, Alchemy, Demiplane, Fantasy Grounds, Foundry, and Shard. The maps range from a castle dungeon to a cult cavern to several temples and more. The book provides traps, loot, new monsters, new subclasses, and more to make each delve deadly. If this sounds like it would speak to your GMing needs, check out the campaign page for a free PDF preview.

Book of Spirits- An Ethereal Supplement for 5E.png

Book of Spirits: An Ethereal Supplement for 5E from Beyond the Screen
  • END DATE: Thu, May 9 2024 7:00 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Spirits for 5e, but not just spirits, this book provides all things that tie into the concept of spirits such as: spirit boons and banes, adventures, environments, maps, a new class, and, of course, over 50 spirits. With over 200 pages, this book uses the idea of spirits as a jumping off point to create a variety of thematic, related content. Where is the spirit realm? What spirit powers are available? Roleplaying can impact the battle mechanically with their Resonance system. If you want to add spirits to your setting, this book may fill in the blanks.

The Wandering Tavern.png

The Wandering Tavern from HOMIEandTheDUDE
  • END DATE: Thu, May 9 2024 8:00 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £25 for multiple PDFs and STL files
  • AI STATEMENT: “This content is 100% Human created with absolutely NO A.I. involvement.”
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? 180+ pages of content for your 5e game inspired by the works from Studio Ghibli. This isn’t the first TTRPG content inspired by Studio Ghibli, but it does give more focus to the world with maps, NPCs, plot hooks, and unique elements. While the book is largely system neutral, they offer 5e stats were appropriate. At the campaign page, you can download a free PDF preview of the book. If you’re interested in a book that provides the feel of Studio Ghibli and 5e rules, this is worth a read.

Knight- An Avalon RPG.png

Knight: An Avalon RPG from Antre Monde Editions
  • END DATE: May 9, 2024 at 2:00pm EDT.
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €199 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the books, booklets, cards, GM screen, maps, dice, and more
  • AI STATEMENT: “No AI art has been used anywhere in the books.”
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? With this game, you get a dystopian future, horror, and nights in Meta-Armour. In the future, an alien blight came to the world. Only a few, protected in refugee cities by immortals, survived. But those that did survive took up new weapons and high tech armour to reclaim their world. The idea here mixes sci-fi, fantasy, and horror to provide something different. Using a unique system, you get a world that needs you to save it. If you’re interested in the concept, there’s a free preview PDF quickstart linked on the campaign page.
Mimic Mayhem.gif

Mimic Mayhem from Jerry Joe Seltzer
  • END DATE: Sun, May 12 2024 11:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $7 for the PDF of the book and digital tokens
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The party arrives at a frontier town located in a mountain pass. There’s boom town riches, but a blizzard isolates the town and the party. Then the disappearance start. In a town overrun with mimics, there’s nowhere to run and nothing you can trust. Maps, mimics, and much mirth as the players have to determine what’s going on and what they can believe in. If the idea of a town full of 5e mimics speaks to you, this book as everything you’ll need to ambush the party. Every. Time.

A Night in the Library- A Bookish Adventure for D&D 5E.png

A Night in the Library: A Bookish Adventure for D&D 5E from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, May 2 2024 5:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £10 for the PDF of the adventure
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? With this book, you get what every 5e campaign needs: A library. 27 pages covering a levels 5 and 6 adventure, maps, library-centric monsters, mundane books, and spellbooks. A Night in the Library: A Bookish Adventure for D&D 5E is a resource that every campaign will benefit from.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Lalato

Adventurer
Here are the 5e Campaign Setting and Adventure Path crowdfunding campaigns I'm keeping an eye on right now.

Closed and Funded:
Closed:
Open and Funded:
Open:

Last edited:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I added the Adventure Time to my watch list and may back it before it ends. What surprises me more is I didn’t notice a pdf only tier, which is what I was looking for on my initial scroll through.

Edit and see that discussion now in the other thread :)

talien

Community Supporter
I honestly would have thought the Adventure Time Kickstarter would have been much bigger based on the IP.

I thought about backing, but figured I would wait to see some reviews first. Lately I've been a lot more "it's going to come out so why gamble on a Kickstarter". That said I will back small publishers and independent writers on Kickstarter as I get why they need the platform.
Me too. For better or worse I'm not sure the property is quite as hot as it was since it moved to HBO Max.

I've been watching all the episodes in order with my daughter, but we started with Fiona & Cake, and going back to the original Adventure Time is, tonally, a shock. The show got better over time, but boy sometimes it felt like they were just making it up as they go...

Which is a long way of saying the entirety of the OOO universe is awesome, but I'm not sure new fans are being generated the way they once were when the show was on Cartoon Network, and that's likely affecting the Kickstarter.

Remove ads

Remove ads