• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Mystara in new edition confirmed

The Glen

Legend
Mystara Confirmed +.png

Ierendi is the fourth nation in the Gazetteer line, an island chain south of the mainland. That makes this Mystara art, though not sure who the tiny lizardmen are supposed to be. Maybe evil Caymas?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
View attachment 363452

Ierendi is the fourth nation in the Gazetteer line, an island chain south of the mainland. That makes this Mystara art, though not sure who the tiny lizardmen are supposed to be. Maybe evil Caymas?
Kobold. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see done straight Mystara stuff, the usage of the PKlJN characters does not automatically mean it is Mystara here.

The Glen

Legend
For what it's worth, the adventure in the new Planescape has a brief appearance by the shadar-kai Farrow, who (like his 2e shadow elf incarnation) is explicitly noted as being from the material plane world of Mystara.
We noticed. They noticed he was a shadow elf and made him shadar kai, when Mystaran shadow elves are more like cave fish, naive, badly led and highly religious TN cave fish.

Dire Bare

Legend
For what it's worth, the adventure in the new Planescape has a brief appearance by the shadar-kai Farrow, who (like his 2e shadow elf incarnation) is explicitly noted as being from the material plane world of Mystara.

Doesn't go into any further detail, but thought it was worth a mention.
Interesting. Re-imagining Mystara's shadow elves as shadar-kai, a different kind of shadow elf. It's worth mulling over as something to adapt if I ever convince my players to take a run through Mystara.

Dire Bare

Legend
View attachment 363452

Meh.

I grew up on the Mystara campaign, back before it was Mystara! Long live the Known World!

However, you're reaching here. Sure, the action-figure characters were incorporated into the BECMI line in a handful of products, but it was done poorly and, IMO, didn't really fit.

These characters were created independently from the Mystara setting, were co-opted into the setting clumsily, but still were a separate thing. Very similar to how Arneson's Blackmoor modules were clumsily co-opted into the setting as well.

However, Mystara got an equal mention in the 2014 core books, I don't expect differently in the 2024 books. I'm hoping Aleena or some other classic Mystara character makes it into the PHB art . . . or maybe Bargle in the DMG . . .

The Glen

Legend
Meh.

I grew up on the Mystara campaign, back before it was Mystara! Long live the Known World!

However, you're reaching here. Sure, the action-figure characters were incorporated into the BECMI line in a handful of products, but it was done poorly and, IMO, didn't really fit.

These characters were created independently from the Mystara setting, were co-opted into the setting clumsily, but still were a separate thing. Very similar to how Arneson's Blackmoor modules were clumsily co-opted into the setting as well.

However, Mystara got an equal mention in the 2014 core books, I don't expect differently in the 2024 books. I'm hoping Aleena or some other classic Mystara character makes it into the PHB art . . . or maybe Bargle in the DMG . . .
This was mostly done in jest. Reaching isn't the right word, this is stretching like Reed Richards. I have no faith that Mystara gets any attention from WOTC outside of brief mentions. They are avoiding real-world allegories which was Mystara's focus. They have 5 Spains, 4 Romes, 3 Indias and 2 Germanys. They SERIOUSLY liked Spain. Plus major parts of the setting arc involves mature topics similar to Dark Sun though without the multiple attempts at psionics. I just want them to open up the guilds to the lost settings (hi Birthright!) and let people create more books for Mystara.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I suspect WotC is hesitant about putting Mystara and even Greyhawk into the DMs Guild, because of the sensitive content. WotC already nixed Dark Sun.

I dont really blame WotC. When 5e Spelljammer came out, and the thoughtless presentation of the Hadozee slipped thru, I looked thru online Spelljammer fansites to see who the Hadozee were. I was shocked at the poor judgment at certain fansites, some overtly offensive content there. Fansites are sometimes so busy compiling content from so many different official sources, the compilers dont pause to pay attention to what it is they are actually saying, or come across as if saying. That wider online context accelerated the 5e Spelljammer insensitivity into a scandal. Then I read the 5e adventure, and it turns out to force players to commit genocide against the coded "White" Elves. Genocide, God forbid. I dont understand what WotC was thinking. This was all while WotC was officially announcing policies about cultural sensitivity.

Imagine if this mess was sitting there inside the official corporate DMs Guild.

I am unsure how WotC can accommodate irresponsible fans.

Even tho the D&D legacy content normally is culturally sensitive, from decent thoughtful authors, there are points here and there that can go wrong.

Sometimes horribly wrong. For example, even in Mystara, there is a supplement about Orcs, that explicitly identified Red Orcs as Indigenous Americans and Yellow Orcs as Mongolians. Meanwhile the "humorous" descriptions came across as overthetop racist.

If legacy content like this opens up in the DMs Guild, how is it even possible to prevent fans from going there? It was official in its day.

TheGlen

Explorer
The Guild sells Orcs of Thar without any revisions. The Guild has removed titles it has found offensive. They can't police what the fans want or how they play. But they already filter what they can buy

Remove ads