• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it fun to plan a heist?

Do you feel like planning a heist in an RPG is worthwhile?

• No — just skip it or give mechanical shortcuts like Flasbacks

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Sometimes — a little planning (or quick montage) goes a long way

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Yes — planning can be just as fun (if not more fun) as actually doing a heist

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I keep hearing (mostly YouTubers) saying that planning a heist is problematic so suggest Blades in Dark or similar games with rules to skip over it. Some say players don’t have the expertise to rob a bank any more than they know how to wield a sword and shield. Other stated reasons include: it just causes arguments, gives the GM ideas to stop the players, turns into a shopping trip to gather gear, or is a waste of time and falls apart almost immediately.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Planning a heist and the use of flashback mechanics aren't mutually exclusive. Personally I like heist planning, but it certainly can and does get tiresome when people start to try and over-plan for every little possible contingency (over-planning being the specific ailment that flashbacks are designed to remedy)..

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Planning a heist is fun. Watching it all go sideways 3 minutes in after 3 hours of planning because the street Samurai can't keep it in its holster is INFURIATING.

More seriously: if planning can be kept to a reasonable amount of time that ends up not wasted because of one bad roll or one stupid decision, it's fine. But I also understand why Blades in the Dark style games exist.

Pedantic

Legend
There is nothing more enjoyable than a properly executed plan, except possibly a plan derailed by an unexpected complication and fixed with quick tactical thinking.

I've always felt the very idea of trying to elide or minimize planning borderline as an attack. It's annoying when another player won't let me do it and the idea of a system proposing that I shouldn't be allowed to do it as a matter of design, and that will somehow be more fun is just upsetting.

RPGs are uniquely suited as a medium for this! The combination of general world interaction mechanics, a huge range of available actions and the ability to extrapolate widely different resulting board states makes them ideal to have and try to execute ambitious plans with variably resourced starting states. The next closest thing is a roguelike; I love Invisible Inc as much as the next genre devotee, but nothing beats the sheer breadth of possibilities TTRPGs bring.

It's always feels like a loss when that design space is closed in pursuit of some other purpose.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I said sometimes. I have had great fun in games like D&D/PF/Traveller planning heists. I found I dont care for it as a play loop though.

I said sometimes. I have had great fun in games like D&D/PF/Traveller planning heists. I found I dont care for it as a play loop though.
Agreed. You need the right table of people for extended planning to be fun, and if investment in it isn't at least broadly similar it causes problems. So, sometimes.

Worth noting that Blades still has plenty of planning for folks who demand it, but it doesn't happen during heists, it's before and after them as you try to decide how to spend limited actions and resources to best grow your gang's effectiveness and detremine what target you want to tackle next.

Yes, and it is great fun. It's a much more active form of Problem Solving, and it's great for RPGs as it can involve everyone.

The sneaky characters, face characters and information characters get a spotlight getting all the data for the heist to be planned. Players that like information can look stuff up too.

The players that have the real life skills can plan the heist.

And everyone can do their part to do the heist.

Of course, the all combat type player won't like it much, but it really does move the spot light on to every other character that does anything other then combat.

Remove ads