• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How Does Greyhawk Fit In To The New Edition?

Dungeon Master’s Guide contains a sample setting—and that setting is, indeed, Greyhawk.

IMG_3568.webp

According to Game Informer — “the surprising importance and inclusions of what is arguably the oldest D&D campaign setting of them all – Greyhawk.”

So how does Greyhawk fit in? According to GI, the new 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide contains a sample setting—and that setting is, indeed, Greyhawk. Not only that, but the book will come with a double-sided poster map with the City of Greyhawk on one side and the Flannaes on the other—the eastern part of one of Oerth’s four continents.
IMG_3569.jpeg

Even as the multiverse of D&D worlds sees increased attention, the Dungeon Master's Guide also offers a more discrete setting to get gaming groups started. After very few official releases in the last couple of decades, the world of Greyhawk takes center stage. The book fleshes out Greyhawk to illustrate how to create campaign settings of your own. Greyhawk was the original D&D game world crafted by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax, and a worthy setting to revisit on the occassion of D&D's golden anniversary. It's a world bristling with classic sword and sorcery concepts, from an intrigue-laden central city to wide tracts of uncharted wilderness. Compared to many D&D campaign settings, it's smaller and less fleshed out, and that's sort of the point; it begs for DMs to make it their own. The book offers ample info to bring Greyhawk to life but leaves much undetailed. For those eager to take the plunge, an included poster map of the Greyhawk setting sets the tone, and its reverse reveals a map of the city of the same name. "A big draw to Greyhawk is it's the origin place for such heroes as Mordenkainen, Tasha, and others," Perkins says. "There's this idea that the players in your campaign can be the next great world-hopping, spell-crafting heroes of D&D. It is the campaign where heroes are born."
- Game Informer​

The origin if dragonborns in Greyhawk is oficially different. The god Bahamut chose certain humans and humanoids as his new champions, and then after a time within an egg they turned dragoborn, but they were sterile.

Some new species appeared among the humans because after the Vecna's event in Sigil the spell reincarnation didn't work in the same way.

There are a lot of unexplored zones in the planet Oerth. This means new continents have to be created almost from zero.

All the new PC species and monsters from 3rd Ed oficially they are in Greyhawk.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
There are a lot of unexplored zones in the planet Oerth. This means new continents have to be created almost from zero.

All the new PC species and monsters from 3rd Ed oficially they are in Greyhawk.
Good point. Even if the species arent in the subcontinent of Flannaess, they could be somewhere else on planet Oerth.

Heh, planet Oerth is huge, and mostly unexplored by D&D players.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Good point. Even if the species arent in the subcontinent of Flannaess, they could be somewhere else on planet Oerth.

Heh, planet Oerth is huge, and mostly unexplored by D&D players.
That is, for example, what Keith Baker did with 4e Eberron. I have heard that he actually preferred 4e Eberron in some ways, because it fit better with the pulpy action theme of the setting (even though I am well aware that Eberron was originally designed to fit 3e rules in the first place.)

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
That is, for example, what Keith Baker did with 4e Eberron. I have heard that he actually preferred 4e Eberron in some ways, because it fit better with the pulpy action theme of the setting (even though I am well aware that Eberron was originally designed to fit 3e rules in the first place.)
Heh, Oerth is so huge, I might need to doublecheck if its gravity makes sense.

And not only the "Graysphere", the wildspace where Oerth is in the centre could be totally retconected but also the other planets to be added, Aerth, Earth, Oerth, Uerth, and Yarth. Maybe the reboot of the D&D multiverse because Vecna's fault caused a merger of those wildspaces. Then the "Earth" wouldn't be our world, but a mash-up version, with "mirage" versions, one a spiritual sucessor of "Masque of the Red Death" and other a remake of "Gamma World".

WotC could writte some article in the D&D Beyond as simple suggestion, without comminent about the previous canon.

Starfox

Hero
What I really miss (and have not bothered to make myself) is a random table for "Who is in a minor war with who at the moment". Bot the medieval and renaissance periods was full of tiny wars.

Actually, I did something like that for my Ahlissa campaign, where the king had a small fire-brigade force darting around the country putting out rebellions and border conflicts, but my player's didn't really take it seriously.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Heh, Oerth is so huge, I might need to doublecheck if its gravity makes sense.
Saturn's gravity is g=1.08. Its many times larger than the earth. Density matters as much as size. So it can have g=1 no matter that size it is. Though to be fair its tough to make the case a solid Saturn Sized planet would have g=1.08. But I think its safe to say Oerth is not Saturn Volume.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
And not only the "Graysphere", the wildspace where Oerth is in the centre could be totally retconected but also the other planets to be added, Aerth, Earth, Oerth, Uerth, and Yarth. Maybe the reboot of the D&D multiverse because Vecna's fault caused a merger of those wildspaces. Then the "Earth" wouldn't be our world, but a mash-up version, with "mirage" versions, one a spiritual sucessor of "Masque of the Red Death" and other a remake of "Gamma World".

WotC could writte some article in the D&D Beyond as simple suggestion, without comminent about the previous canon.
Anything even in AD&D for Spell jammer involving Oerth is a retcon.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Saturn's gravity is g=1.08. Its many times larger than the earth. Density matters as much as size. So it can have g=1 no matter that size it is. Though to be fair its tough to make the case a solid Saturn Sized planet would have g=1.08. But I think its safe to say Oerth is not Saturn Volume.
Heh, I was hoping you were going to do the math for me. The full Oerth map, with its circumference, at Earth-like density, and the resulting gravity.

Remove ads

Remove ads