• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Extra Attack +1 feat

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
This is just a stray thought I had that will have no follow through on it but how powerful would you consider a one-time feat that just gave you an additional extra attack? How often would you consider taking said feat for a character if it existed?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
This is just a stray thought I had that will have no follow through on it but how powerful would you consider a one-time feat that just gave you an additional extra attack? How often would you consider taking said feat for a character if it existed?
I would only roll variant humans and take this feat at first level every single time until I quit D&D because the imbalance sucked the joy out of the game.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yeah, it's unfortunately such a good Feat that I think a lot of people would consider it a "must have", which is a bad design for a Feat. I'm ignoring the fact that a few existing Feats toe this line already, of course.

I wonder what Action Surge as a Feat would be like, however. It's not omni-useful for everyone, though a lot of players would want it.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Depends on a number of factors.

1) Realistically, it would have to be level gated. It would be the single best feat for a VHuman/Custom Lineage at level 1. Level 5 would have to be the minimum allowable level for this feat.

2) Does it stack with class feature Extra Attack? If it does, so that it gives most martials 3 attacks, and a level 11 fighter 4 attacks, it's in "too good" territory.

3) If it's level gated and does NOT stack with Extra Attack, I'd say it's probably OK. It's a really good feat for clerics, and it would benefit some caster builds that dip 1-2 martial levels for weapons and armor, like paladin/sorcerer, so that they could do 2 attacks rather than relying on booming blade. But other than that, I don't think there's anything really problematic.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Depends on a number of factors.

2) Does it stack with class feature Extra Attack? If it does, so that it gives most martials 3 attacks, and a level 11 fighter 4 attacks, it's in "too good" territory.

Yeah if it were level gated at 5 and didn't stack I could see it. It would have to be "When you take the attack action you may make two attacks on your turn" or something like that.

Art Waring

halozix.com
There are other possibilities for an "extra attack: that is not just handing the character an extra Action.

For example, the D20 modern book has a feat called Double Tap, it lets you take two quick shots with a firearms with a single action. I believe it simply raises the damage by +1die and incurs a -1 penalty to hit.

This keeps them from using it like an Action surge, and fits with prior concepts of iterative attacks (increase damage and add a to hit penalty).

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
What about an alternative feat of ‘you can use your bonus action to make a single standard attack’ giving it an actual cost in the action economy
Dunno how that compare against the two weapon fighting style/feat?

jgsugden

Legend
Too strong, but something that merged the War Domain or Gloomstalker ability might be possible.

* Combat Rush - If you take the Attack action on your first turn in combat, you can make one additional weapon attack as a bonus action that turn. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Alternatively, something that limits the bonus attacks to when you miss, but features a

* Feinting Style - When you make an attack as part of the Attack action on your turn and you miss on an attack, you can make one additional weapon attack as a bonus action that turn. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What about an alternative feat of ‘you can use your bonus action to make a single standard attack’ giving it an actual cost in the action economy
Dunno how that compare against the two weapon fighting style/feat?
Too strong, but something that merged the War Domain or Gloomstalker ability might be possible.

* Combat Rush - If you take the Attack action on your first turn in combat, you can make one additional weapon attack as a bonus action that turn. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Alternatively, something that limits the bonus attacks to when you miss, but features a

* Feinting Style - When you make an attack as part of the Attack action on your turn and you miss on an attack, you can make one additional weapon attack as a bonus action that turn. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Yup, I think @jgsugden has the right of it. The War Domain cleric already has a class feature that does what you are suggesting with this feat:

OOC: War Priest: From 1st level, your god delivers bolts of inspiration to you while you are engaged in battle. When you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

So at best, a Feat should only duplicate what this class feature can do, as that tells you how it would be balanced. So the Feat would be available at 1st level, requires a bonus action, and at most can be used like 3 times per day (the standard primary ability score modifier.)

But then again... this ability is lined up for a Cleric, who obviously is less powerful using weapon attacks than your standard Fighter, Barbarian or Paladin. Which means any of those classes that would want to take this Feat would get more out of it than a War Domain Cleric. Thus you'd probably want to lessen the power of the Feat even more than just using the War Domain feature. Most likely by actually leaving it as WIS mod per long rest (rather than what is probably the instinct of making the feat STR mod times per long rest).

Last edited:

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I'd probably just allow that at will. Giving yourself two chances to hit, but it can only be one hit is roughly equivalent to advantage, and rogues can do that as a bonus action as an alternate class feature. Definitely worth a full feat, but not an absolute must pick.

Remove ads