• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 255 53.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 224 46.8%

Faolyn

(she/her)
no, not at all, that is just your interpretation of things because you want the fighter to still roll after he has been killed, incinerated and digested by a dragon, because your interpretation of the rules includes no such limitations
Literally nothing I've said has been even remotely like that.

"Here are some ways that you can get a hold of your contact that are appropriate to the setting" and "the actual purpose of the feature is that your contact acts a liaison to other criminals; the messengers are just a way to get in contact with the contact and aren't actually important" does not not equal "the fighter must be able to attack even when burned to a pile of ash." In no way, shape, or form are they alike at all.

for one because it avoids a lot of uncertainty about how they are meant to work / be used. I find my interpretation perfectly reasonable and the only one that makes any logical sense even if it limits its applicability, you do not care about that and think the feature should be able to work anywhere, no matter how unlikely a scenario you have to come up with for this, and we both believe that our interpretation is what the designers intended
I do care about logic, which is why I don't dismiss ideas out of hand, like you do.

mamba

Legend
I had a fighter with the acolyte background; I played in a game where the rogue had the sage background. These sort of combinations aren't going to happen nearly as much anymore because people will be looking for the mechanics before the story. And that, I feel, is a real loss.
while I can empathize with the notion, the story as you wanted to tell it was not one I had any interest in. As @Oofta said

I would find such a campaign silly and not one I could take seriously.

Feel free to play your game as you see fit, I am sure you still can whether the feature exists in the poor form it has today or not

mamba

Legend
"Here are some ways that you can get a hold of your contact that are appropriate to the setting" and "the actual purpose of the feature is that your contact acts a liaison to other criminals; the messengers are just a way to get in contact with the contact and aren't actually important" does not not equal "the fighter must be able to attack even when burned to a pile of ash." In no way, shape, or form are they alike at all.
that is my take on ‘the feature must be available in Ravenloft’, the probability is about equal…

Faolyn

(she/her)
while I can empathize with the notion, the story as you wanted to tell it was not one I had any interest in. As @Oofta said
You have no idea what story I was going to tell with an acolyte-fighter or why I chose that background and yet you dismiss it out of hand. Seriously?

This is why I reject your opinion about the backgrounds. You clearly are ignoring anything but your initial gut reaction to hearing something, without regards to any inconvenient facts or ideas.

mamba

Legend
Then you clearly didn't understand a thing I was writing.
or I assigned different probabilities than you did

As I said a while ago, we won’t be seeing eye to eye on these features, pretty much any interaction just further shows this. Well, we both have said everything there is to say at least twice, so I guess we can leave it at that

mamba

Legend
You have no idea what story I was going to tell with an acolyte-fighter or why I chose that background and yet you dismiss it out of hand. Seriously?
no… I dismissed the Ravenloft criminal story, I have no idea what your acolyte story is, so why would I refer to that one as one I have no interest in…

Faolyn

(she/her)
no… I dismissed the Ravenloft criminal story, I have no idea what your acolyte story is, so why would I refer to that one as one I have no interest in…
I didn't tell a "Ravenloft criminal story." I gave logical, in-setting ways the criminal background could be used when a PC is yanked into Ravenloft at game-start.

But sure. You're not interested in telling "that" story. Except that's not a story in and of itself. That's a PC using one of their traits. It's no more telling a story than casting fireball is telling a story. It might be part of the larger story, but it's only one small part, at most.

If I were your player and you told that to me, I'd have no choice to assume that you simply weren't interested in the PCs doing anything but telling your story, not the game's story or the PC's story.

mamba

Legend
I didn't tell a "Ravenloft criminal story." I gave logical, in-setting ways the criminal background could be used when a PC is yanked into Ravenloft at game-start.

But sure. You're not interested in telling "that" story. Except that's not a story in and of itself. That's a PC using one of their traits. It's no more telling a story than casting fireball is telling a story. It might be part of the larger story, but it's only one small part, at most.
I agree, it is not a full story. I am not interested in a story in which the criminal manages to find a messenger who can pass a message to their contact, it ruins the rest of the story

Faolyn

(she/her)
I agree, it is not a full story. I am not interested in a story in which the criminal manages to find a messenger who can pass a message to their contact, it ruins the rest of the story
Well, I'm sorry your ability to enjoy a game is so easily ruined.

Of course, it may ruin that player's ability to enjoy the rest of their story if they can't use their feature. But who cares, right?

Remove ads