• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Beyond: No More À La Carte Purchases But US Customers Can Buy Physical Books

Plus UI changes and more product information in listings.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 17.52.09.png

WotC has announced some changes to D&D Beyond's marketplace. These include physical products (for US customers), the removal of à la carte purchases, and various navigational changes.

You can no longer buy individual feats, subclasses, etc. -- you'll need to buy the whole book. The full list of changes includes:
  • US shoppers can now buy physical books
  • More info on product listings, including previews
  • UI improvements to makee finding your purchased content and redeeming keys easier
  • No more à la carte purchases (though your previous ones still count)

Dausuul

Legend
(And a certain predicted percentage would shift from a la carte to buying full books, etc. etc.)
I have a suspicion that somebody was being very optimistic about this percentage.

Whether that optimism is warranted remains to be seen, I guess. I am certainly not making that shift, but I may not be representative.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I wouldn’t classify those as one. Maybe start here - do you consider dawnguard a micro transaction? If not why not? What is different about it and other digital add on content?
No. Dawnguard is a major expansion to the game, adding new adventure paths and many more hours of play. But if they were to sell just the mechanics of a vampire or werewolf without the story/adventure material, that would be closer.

MNblockhead

I do wish buying the physical book gave you free access to the digital version (or the reverse!).
The Cortex Prime book did this and it was great. The Cortex Prime on-line rules interface was developed by the same people that developed DDB. Unfortunately, it has been static. I would have been great if you could select the various option you want to build your system with and have your own rule system saved. But I'm sure that would have required a subscription to make it economically feasible. A free PDF with a book is one thing, but getting access to continually developed platform is going to required continued funding. Since DDB allows you to buy a book without a subscription, I'm not sure that giving books free with purchase of a physical copy makes sense. At a discount, sure, but free, I don't see it. Now if they had a program where subscribers would be able to the book for free in DDB if they bought the physical, that might work.

MNblockhead

Yeah, pretty sure there was a skeptical manager standing with arms crossed in a developer's cubicle as they tried to explain what the feature was and why it would be cool to keep it.
In the late 80s and early 90s, the engineers at my dad's company had to develop a lot of internal software themselves. The error messages were hilarious...they didn't last long. :)

Imaro

Legend
Why would I buy single pieces of rules when I can get them for free from a site supported by the publisher?
WotC's relationship with the fans of its games is increasingly toxic, yet those fans keep crawling back, celebrating minor concessions as major victories. At this point people should just accept that they won't be able to fix WotC and just look for other companies to support.
So that I continue to get tools at the caliber of D&DB... which cost money to develop, maintain and enhance...

Remove ads

Remove ads