• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Art Direction: Consistent or Varied?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The alternate PHB 2024 cover thread got me thinking about consistency in art direction for RPGs. Specifically, that cover is really great, but very likely won't look like anything else in the book (whereas the regular cover probably will). That would disappoint me, if I bought the book online or shrink-wrapped, so I did not know that. I really like consistent art direction, with images if not by the same person throughout, at least thematically and aesthetically similar. This is especially true for core books in my mind. i don't mind if an adventure or setting has its own different art direction -- as long as that, too, is consistent within that particular work.

By contrast, the 1E art direction was all over the place, ranging from literal cartoons to amateur illustrations to amazing works, many of which had different thematic tones. D&D is a big tent game, of course, and can get away with more varied art styles to reflect varied playstyles, but even so I prefer tighter direction.

What about you? Do you think an RPG should have a consistent art direction?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I think that really depends on the game.

For example, I think games that are trying to aim you at a particular setting and specific feel do well to have consistent art direction. Games that are actively encouraging you to go your own road can do that with a more varied art direction.

I'm a big fan of a consistent art style in RPG books (or really, in any books containing illustrations). Sometimes a good art director can make different styles work together well in a book, though.

It does depend a lot on the game. Some really do have a set type. Star Wars is one.

Though in general I do like the varied art more. But not as far as the 1E stick figures. What I do what is a great variety in the art work. I have plenty of favorite artists, and a lot of them have very set styles. Look at a random art work and you can say "that's X". But more so, it's the little things.....how do the draw weapons, swords, armor, magic and everything else. Have 10 artists draw something like "a fighter by a castle" and you will get a 8-9 typical Western Europe Renaissance castles and fighters types. With the fighter in plate armor with a horse and a sword. That 10th artist though makes a white marble spiked castle with gold domes, and a fighter in chain mail with a curved sword. I like seeing that 10th one......

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
At one point in time it would bug me. Though, this alternate cover has got my itching just to have one on the shelf.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I suppose it depends on the game or book. If the book is fairly substantial and the game is intended to evoke a variety of styles of play (like D&D), I'm OK with varying art styles in the art direction.

Ideally, that would still have some boundaries, though, such as similar overall level of quality and production value. So, a monochrome pen and ink illustration amid lush colorful art would feel badly out of place, but mostly monochrome pen and ink illustrations throughout with color splash pages to head off chapters would also be OK.

I'm also down with a game focused on a particular aesthetic having a more tightly focused range for its art too.

If I'm being honest, it depends mostly on how much I like the artist(s) involved. I loved Planescape's unified art because I loved DiTerlizzi's style. If it had been someone else (like, say, whoever drew the majority of Lords of Creation for Avalon Hill) I would have been much less enthused and wished for a more varied array of artists.

Remove ads