• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

And let's be honest

A lot of the feats are either class features stripped out for dabbling or specializations striped out the fighter to make the core fighter simple as dirt.

We don't really need half the feats.
Multiclasing through feats fixes the game. Multiclassing as it is now is a design nightmare; on his patreon, mearls said it was rushed due to timeline.

The reason there are no level 8 feats is very simple. When they experimented with them in UA a year or two ago they met with a very strongly negative reaction. A majority of people who posted an opinion did not want them.
No, they didnt meet 70% approval. Stop twisting data. They could have been 20% or 65%, the latter of which is not a """"" very strong negative reaction."""""

Remathilis

Legend
you could merge Shadow touched and Fey touched and streamline it to:

Spell touched:
+1 ASI
learn one 1st level spell and one 2nd level spell
gain one 1st and 2nd level spell slot.
you can take this feat up to two times. Or 3? Or any number?

First off, that feat does not do the same thing as shadow or fey touched. It removes the limitations on the feat (ASI is a mental score, 2nd level spell if fixed, 1st level is limited to two school choices). FT is already powerful, and this feat is essentially a no brainier feat tax for anyone seriously playing a caster.

Which leads to the next part: where is the story? Fey and shadow touched both insinuate some connection to the closest planes in the Multiverse: feywild and shadowfell. The limitations encourage and enforce this flavor. Further, feats are always named as adjectives or descriptions; they describe a character by giving them an attribute like observant, tough, or keen minded. I want players taking feats because they describe their characters, not because they are strict (or necessary) power upgrades. In that regard, the more specific and niche a fast is, the better. I want people taking shadow touched because the thought of going invisible and using spoopy magic is a part of their identity, not because that's two free spells of your choice known and two free spell slots.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't understand your question.
You said, "It would be easier if all level 1 feats would also get +1 ASI if you took them at a later level." Skilled, and various other current feats, are balanced to not provide +1 ability score, regardless of what level you take them. If those are already in, that would mean getting a half-feat with no ability bonus would be obviously under-par by comparison, but forbidding things that aren't half-feats seems untenable.

If we assume that feats are relatively balanced with one another (an assumption I know isn't true, but I'm trying to be generous), this would seem to be a massive nerf to those half-feats.

No, they didnt meet 70% approval. Stop twisting data. They could have been 20% or 65%, the latter of which is not a """"" very strong negative reaction."""""
If it had been boarderline the would have included it in the new PHB playtest. The results were sufficiently cut-and-dried that there was no point.

WotC want the new rules to be as popular as possible in order to make the most money. Contrary to certain people's delusions, that means they closely follow the market research.

Because those feats sucked.

That's kinda a big issue is that the section of the designer base have little ideas what is appropriate between level 10-19.
Did you fill in the questionnaire? The were questions about the principle of level 8 feats in general, not just those feats in particular. Feat trees were asked about too.

You said, "It would be easier if all level 1 feats would also get +1 ASI if you took them at a later level." Skilled, and various other current feats, are balanced to not provide +1 ability score, regardless of what level you take them. If those are already in, that would mean getting a half-feat with no ability bonus would be obviously under-par by comparison, but forbidding things that aren't half-feats seems untenable.
Oh. Damn. That was a bad oversight by me. Skilled were obviouly way to powerful if it also gave +1 int or so. Good thing you catched that gamebreaking combo.
If we assume that feats are relatively balanced with one another (an assumption I know isn't true, but I'm trying to be generous), this would seem to be a massive nerf to those half-feats.
I think you assume to much and not enough at the same time here...

Last edited:

Remove ads