• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5E] Al-Qadim Conversion Playtest Rules for a Future Book

PDF for the playtest is here. It contains 6 new sub-races, one new race, a bunch of new archetypes, feats, and backgrounds, and then three variant rules (Verbal Duels ; Magical Carpet Combat ; Natural Hazards). I'd like it if you guys could read over this playtest pdf, maybe play it yourself, and give feed back via the survey attached for it.

This will contribute to the completion of a full 5E Conversion book coming hopefully in August. Thanks!

First- awesome!

Second- playtesting your material before releasing it? That's unprecedented, and a great idea. :)

Third- I wish I could playtest. My first look at it seems to indicate it is pretty, pretty flavorful and balanced, but I'd like to test drive it. :(

Can't produce quality content if you don't try it out first! ;)

Also, thanks for the quick review! Hopefully you and your group are able to get some mileage out of it.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I love your take on social combat. Do you think you could add a variant for people who use the Honor optional stat from the DMG? I'll add your pdf to the list of homebrews I use in my campaign.

I love your take on social combat. Do you think you could add a variant for people who use the Honor optional stat from the DMG? I'll add your pdf to the list of homebrews I use in my campaign.

1.) That's a very interesting idea I hadn't thought of. I 100% will play with that and see what I can do.

2.) Thanks man! Also if you wouldn't mind, please do the surveys and let us know what you like/dislike for when we go to make the final book!

Specific comment on feats-

I like the flavor of the feats. And they are hard to design. But one, in particular, seems a little ... OP to me.

If I am reading it right, Flamboyant Fighter is both a half feat (so you get a +1 dex bonus) and also allows you to get advantage on attacks for every round after the first at the cost of a bonus action?

That seems .... pretty good.

As an aside, I really like the thought behind Gracious Host, but I'm not sure many players would take it due to the limitation.

I think it's pretty strong, but I'm not sure Flamboyant Fighter is too strong. But, that is what the playtest is for--if things end up a step too crazy, I'll be toning them down (or removing them) in the final product.

As for Gracious Host, it is VERY nuanced and niche. It's one of the more flavor > mechanics feats in there. However, if it ends up not being enjoyed/used at all, it too is may be cut.

Remove ads