• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS WOTBS Commander Class Battlecry ability - how is it useful?

jestagirl

Explorer
So, I have one guy running a commander and about to reach 4th level. The Battlecry ability is puzzling us both. It's a free action, that gives you a freebie use of your leadership performance, which must be used during that combat. So far, so good.

But the performance takes 1 minute to complete (10 rounds) and effects lasts another 5 rounds, so you need an 11 round combat to use it at all, and a 15 round one for full effect and that all assumes the commander starts talking in round 1. I don't think I've had a combat go past about 5 rounds in the entire adventure - when does he get to use this? Only during the most immensely epic of chapter-ending battles?

Additional question : should the performance take up all his actions during those 10 rounds? Just the standards, movement still available? Free action while fighting normally?

While the default basic Leadership Performance feat does only grant an ability that works if you spend a minute performing, many of the other Leadership Performance feats only take a single action.

For instance, Fearless Leader's basic ability requires a one minute speech, but the bonus ability (if you have 3 Leader feats and 9 ranks of Perform) is just a standard action. Maneuver Leader lets you spend a standard action so you and multiple allies get a bonus move. Admittedly, that probably should have been stated explicitly in the rules. My bad. Operation and Spellwise Leader likewise have options that require a standard action to activate, and don't require a whole speech.

I hope you're enjoying the campaign. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Remove ads