What are you reading in 2024?

Reynard

Legend
I started Console Wars, which has been on my radar for a while. I was a PC gamer from the early 80s on, so I never really connected with the Nintendo/SEGA war, but I love books about the history of and drama in game development (Blood Sweat and Pixels is one of my favorite books).

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Still on something like my rhythm, so the last three books: One by One by Ruth Ware, a pretty conventional thriller novel by someone who's probably read too much Dame Agatha, lots of cheating going on, here; Icarus by Deon Meyer, a police procedural set in South Africa, lots of local slang and Afrikaans thrown in but understandable, a central plot apparently inspired by real life things, obviously part of a series but decently standalone; The Curator by Owen King, cluttered and busy and borderline disjointed, pretty clearly a short story entombed in a 500-page novel, one of the blurbs should have warned me off.

Getting a Kobo changed my life (I use a Kindle now, because it gets even deeper discounts, but same thing). I donated all those boxes of books and am never going back. I still buy physical books for graphic novels and comics, most of which I done to our school library, and I occasionally buy a physical book for gaming just because of the art, but that's it.

I save a small fortune, have a lot more space and a lot less clutter, and I'm not killing nearly as many trees.

I love my Kindle, and use it for most new book purchases, with a few exceptions. For a lot of the older Appendix N and adjacent readings, I still prefer to read the old print versions, with their lovely old book smell and glorious covers.

Remove ads