• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDAL PHB +1 rule question

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
My question is PHB +1 rule I understand how it works except one part. My +1 is Xanathars guide to everything. In the book it has the spell Mold Earth. Elemental Evils came out before Xanathar so if I picked Xanathar can I put Mold Earth on my caster or does it have to be Elemental Evils? This for AL.
Like = I have read.

Orban Sirgen

Villager
All of the spells from EE are in Xanathar's... When a spell, archetype, etc is in more than one book, the latest printed is the version to use regardless of your +1 because it's the most up-to-date... Note that PHB +1 only applies to race, archetypes, and spells gained when leveling... Wizards can get spells from any AL-legal book into their spellbook via scrolls or the spellbook of other wizards, and backgrounds are not part of PHB +1 at all...

Orban Sirgen

Villager
Be careful with Mold Earth. I think it says you can move loose earth. Some DMs may say that means freshly dug soil or sand. They may rule a dirt road or forest floor is compacted soil and not affected by the spell. I've seen a wizard run into this problem when the DM shot down his clever idea.
Also, it moves the earth too slowly to deal any damage... It's useful for digging a pit or doing minor landscaping, but nothing major...

Remove ads