• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D OD&D Paladins: Controllers?

chronoplasm

First Post
So I downloaded the Greyhawk supplement for OD&D and noticed that Paladins used to get a anti-magic field they could use as long as they had a holy sword equipped. That gave me inspiration!

Inquisitor Strike Paladin Attack 1
At-Will. Divine, Weapon
Standard-Action
Target: One creature.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W]+Strength modifier damage and the target takes a wisdom modifier penalty to nonbasic attacks until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2[W]+Strength modifier damage at 21st level.

What do you think?

FireLance

Legend
I think it looks a lot like the existing at-will enfeebling strike, and is almost as good as the 1st-level encounter attack fearsome smite. My personal sense is that modifying an attack roll or a defence by an ability score modifier (as opposed to a fixed number) is too good for an at-will (see also: righteous brand, Cleric At-Will Attack 1).

I personally would make it a feat requiring enfeebling strike and allowing it to penalize non-basic attacks by a futher -1.

chronoplasm

First Post
Thanks!

What do you think of this?

Null Smite- Paladin Attack 1
Encounter. Divine, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and each adjacent creature takes a -2 penalty to nonbasic attacks until the end of your next turn.

keterys

First Post
Smite seems fine.

Err, actually - you have Wisdom vs. AC, should prolly be either Charisma or Strength.

Last edited:

Remove ads