• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS Masterplan and WotBS

Bercilak

Explorer
Although I think the map feature of MapTool is way better than the one for Masterplan, I like the fact that Masterplan also lets me easily track damage, expended powers, and initiative. When looking at MapTool, I wasn't immediately convinced that it could do all of these other things.

Berc

swhite58

First Post
I'm just coming up to speed with Masterplan, and it seems to me that it's better for home-brew campaigns than published ones like WotBS, which aleady has everything so well laid out. We also prefer to use figures and printed maps for our encounters.

I might stick with DnD4e Combat Manager which is being developed again :)

Bercilak

Explorer
Definitely. If you don't need the map features, Masterplan isn't all that useful in running published adventures. (Although when running Shelter from the Storm, I found it useful to use MP to lay out how all of the different encounters interacted.)

-Berc

liggetar

First Post
I use MapTool and the combat manager mentioned previously by swhite58. If you haven't tried the combat manager, I can't recommend it highly enough!

Gorok

Explorer
If you haven't tried the combat manager, I can't recommend it highly enough!

I agree very much with this! I use this every week during our gaming sessions and have found it to extremely useful. I've even imported the PC's into the program, manually updated all their powers/effects, and track their usage during game play. A quick save to the hard drive and the complete "state" of the battle is kept for the next game session.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Although I think the map feature of MapTool is way better than the one for Masterplan, I like the fact that Masterplan also lets me easily track damage, expended powers, and initiative. When looking at MapTool, I wasn't immediately convinced that it could do all of these other things.

Berc

MapTool doesn't do this right out of the box, but it can be made to do it with a framework or some programming (that's my approach). If you're not using the projector and everything, MapTool would be overkill.

I too am a fan of the Combat Manager. Before I started using MapTool I used the Combat Manager, and I agree that it's great.

Ormazd

Explorer
I'm just coming up to speed with Masterplan, and it seems to me that it's better for home-brew campaigns than published ones like WotBS, which aleady has everything so well laid out. We also prefer to use figures and printed maps for our encounters.

I might stick with DnD4e Combat Manager which is being developed again :)

I don't suppose there is a Mac version of this?

O

Remove ads