• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"So, we can expect some kind of undead knight and his cohort there?"
Litrix comments the story before shrugging.
"It is just a story," Bastiaan replies. "I'd say be on guard for almost anything."

"Our primary goal is to return what was stolen and, perhaps find some justice. If we can find some way to protect these lands from the Dead Lands, we will do so but it is not our priority.
"I understand," the androsphinx nods. "If you can destroy some of the creatures that haunt that place, then you will help a great deal. The evil that exists in the demiplane isn't trapped there, so undead often spill out into the desert.

"We will do what we can," Aureus adds. She looks at Maur. "We do have the power of Moradin to help us with any undead we might encounter."

MetaVoid said:
"I say we go directly over the cross, if locals are sacrificing people there, they might need a lesson in good manners. We send them to their gods and let them enjoy their version of paradise."
"The people who are sacrificed are, no doubt, as vile and evil as their captors. If we are to enter the Dead Lands, we risk much by weakening ourselves on other conflicts."
"While I have no desire to save evil from evil, it might be better to stay to the quickest path," Aureus says. "Caerth, does The Hermit's journal have any guidance?"

The half-orc druid has been sitting quietly reading through Stratesus' journal while listening. He glances at Aureus and then flips through the book. "Stratesus writes that the area around the cross was almost always guarded. However, the tribes during his time period eventually came to fear The Boots and often fled from them." He flips to another page. "If we can strike fear into their hearts, they may leave us alone. Of course, that assumes the tribes that exist now are cowardly."

"You shouldn't assume that," Bastiaan notes. "The human tribes of this region are quite bloodthirsty."

Caerth nods.

"We're also risking much by going long way around exposing us to discovery of those same people. And wasting time."
"Yes, let's not waste time," Aureus agrees.

"You will probably have to face them before you reach the boundary leading into the demiplane. Them... or the local hill giants. They often hunt in groups for food or plunder. If you go to the cross, be mindful of the higher hills surrounding it."

"We will," Caerth says as he stands and puts The Hermit's journal away. "And thank you."

TaranTheWanderer said:
Thank-you, Bastiaan, for your tales and your hospitality. I hope that we may pass from here with your blessing, if you have one to offer. When we return this way, we will do our best not to disturb you or the local fauna."
"I will you well, Minvelepharadan Tamlyranth," the androsphinx replies. Bastiaan speaks every syllable of Phar's full name perfectly. "Go with my blessing and good hope for your mission. If you do come back this way, I will be happy to share your company again. Just announce yourself, if you do."

The androsphinx stretches like a cat and then stands. It bobs its head to Phar... and then to Aureus with a grin.

MetaVoid said:
Saddling his horse back, he turns to the sphynx
"Thank you for your hospitality."
"I was glad to make your acquaintance, Litrix Maekrix," Bastiaan replies. The magical beast bows his head to the anointed knight. "May the Divine Dragon watch over you." He nods to Angus, Quinn and, then, finally, Maur. "All of you."

The androsphinx pads back to his sheltered cave as you ready the horses. You hear him say once he is out of sight.. "Now, back to my nap."

Litrix and Phar are the first to mount up. Maur and Quinn are the next to be ready with Angus heading up to the top of the gulch to look for any signs of danger. Caerth and Aureus linger for a moment. The hutaakan woman was quite befuddled by Bastiaan. The half-orc druid breathes in the smell of the oasis before mounting his own horse. Soon you are back out into the stark hills and headed towards Ralix's Cross.

After a few minutes, Qi asks Aureus. "You seemed to be quite taken with Bastiaan, my dear. Yes, he was a bit of a flirt, but..."

"His kind, sphinxes, don't exist on my world... well, not anymore. They were killed off by evil knights of the dark god known as Feshar."

"All of them?" Caerth asks.

"Yes, as far as I know," she replies. "I had heard rumours of some surviving sphinxes with reptilian-like heads, but I've never met one until now. The legends I've heard of them... those stories didn't due him justice." She sighs. "I wish Faenia could have met him."

Caerth stares at her, waiting.

"My cousin," Aureus adds. "When I was brought to this world during The Transformation, she wasn't transported here. She was left behind on Maran."

"I see."

Aureus quickens the pace of her horse and you all follow suit. The animals are doing better in the heat, which has lessened slightly. You all made sure to fill all your waterskins for the rest of the journey to the boundary. A path of low hills fileld with a mixture of scrub and grasslands cuts through the higher barren hills. Low dry mountains (more like tall foothills) rise above the path to the southwest and northeast. The path winds east and then southeast.

The Cross quickly comes into view in the distance. It juts up on a high hill behind a a pair of low mounts to the southeast. It is surrounded on all sides by low mounts with a larger range to the south of you. The strange X-shaped formation rises up like two stone pillars crossed across one another, but the top of one of stones is sheared off. The make the "X" almost look like an upside down "y". It's hard to tell if the formation is natural or carved.

"The book says both," Caerth notes. "The original stones looked so much like and "X" that the tribes of the region carved symbols into it and eventually dug out stone platforms and stairs."

"Definitely not a great place to get ambushed," Aureus notes. She looks around to the heights of the low mountains on either side of the low scrub you've stopped in to get a better view of the Cross. The occasional wooden stake can be seen from the path. "I don't know if this is better or worse than being in the hills above."

Caerth points towards the base of the stone formation. "There are wooden structures there. Those aren't in the journal."

"It really feels like someone is watching us," Aureus whispers to Angus standing next to her. She places her hand on the hilt of her sword.

"Quinn, be mindful," Cruel Justice says to the gladiator-knight telepathically.

Race: Silver-Grey Elf Paragon
HP: 58/58
AC:
23; FF:19 T:16
TempAC:+4
Spot:+12
Listen:+8
Search+15(SD:+2)
[]Mage Hand; [x] [X] Summarize ; [] [X] [] Detect Magic [] Recent Occupant; [X] [] Shade
Fort:+4 (+2)
Will: +8 (+2)
Refl: +8 (+2)
Initiative: +4
Range:+9/+4
Melee: +6/+1
Temp: +1
1st [7+1](DC20) ❏Familiar Pocket; [][]*Magic Missile; [] [] Protection from Evil; [] Light of Ludania []Feather fall [] Enlarge Person
2nd[6+1](D21) [] [] Glitterdust [] [] Scorching Ray [] []Luminous Swarm [] Protection From Evil
3rd[6+1](DC22) ❏*Fireball [] [] Fly; [ ] []Haste; [] Dispel Magic [] Dispel Magic
STR:11
DEX: 18 + 4 (22)
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 28+9
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
XP: 70,800/78,000
4th [5+1] (DC 23) []Wall of FIre [] polymorph [] []Summon Monster IV []Haste [] Cacophonic Burst
5th(4+1) (DC24) [] []Dismissal ; [] Wall of Force; []Break Enchantment; []Cacophonic Burst
6th (2+1)[DC25] [] [] Disintegrate; []Cacophonic Burst

"Does anyone have a potion or wand of invisibility? I could ask Featar to fly overhead and scout the way forward."

@Knightfall A scouting mission would be to:
a) find enemies
b) determine the time it would take to cross the area if we are flying.

Race: Silver-Grey Elf Paragon
HP: 58/58
AC:
23; FF:19 T:16
TempAC:+4
Spot:+12
Listen:+8
Search+15(SD:+2)
[]Mage Hand; [x] [X] Summarize ; [] [X] [] Detect Magic [] Recent Occupant; [X] [] Shade
Fort:+4 (+2)
Will: +8 (+2)
Refl: +8 (+2)
Initiative: +4
Range:+9/+4
Melee: +6/+1
Temp: +1
1st [7+1](DC20) ❏Familiar Pocket; [][]*Magic Missile; [] [] Protection from Evil; [] Light of Ludania []Feather fall [] Enlarge Person
2nd[6+1](D21) [] [] Glitterdust [] [] Scorching Ray [] []Luminous Swarm [] Protection From Evil
3rd[6+1](DC22) ❏*Fireball [] [] Fly; [ ] []Haste; [] Dispel Magic [] Dispel Magic
STR:11
DEX: 18 + 4 (22)
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 28+9
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
XP: 70,800/78,000
4th [5+1] (DC 23) []Wall of FIre [] polymorph [] []Summon Monster IV []Haste [] Cacophonic Burst
5th(4+1) (DC24) [] []Dismissal ; [] Wall of Force; []Break Enchantment; []Cacophonic Burst
6th (2+1)[DC25] [] [] Disintegrate; []Cacophonic Burst

"Does anyone have a potion or wand of invisibility? I could ask Featar to fly overhead and scout ahead."

Remove ads