• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

pemerton

Legend
Because the book, instead of focusing on Greyhawk proper, tried in a bit more than a hundred pages, to give an overview of parts of Oerth that were completely irrelevant?
My experience with Greyhawk Adventures is completely different from this. It has monster, spell, and magic-item lists that are fairly standard fare in D&D books (though some of the magic item entries also have GH world lore in them).

More importantly as a campaign supplement, though, it has NPC entries for key personalities from the City of GH and the Valley of the Mage; it has info on the deities of GH (and for me, who owned this book before I owned the boxed set, this was the first place I learned about some of them - the Gazetteer, which I did own at that point, does not have deities info); and it as info on places of info like The Seat of Dust, Tovag Baragu, and the Pinnacles of Azor'alq that I mentioned before. None of these is apocrypha - they're core setting stuff.

Other "geographic" info is about the Pits of Azak-Zil (in the Abor-Alz), Skrellingshald (in the Griff Mts), the Sinking Isle (near the Sea Barons), the Twisted Forest (in the Drachensgrabs), the Burning Cliffs and the Rainbow Vale (in the far north), the Geysers of Death (in the Barrier Peaks), Esmerin (in the Lortmils) and Turucambi (off the coast of Hepmonaland). This is all similar to the material found in Adventures on the World of Greyhawk in the Glossography in the boxed set (especially the Lost Passage of the Suloise and the Jungle of Lost Ships).

Your description makes me think that you are talking about a different book altogether, though I'm not sure which one.

Hussar

Legend
My experience with Greyhawk Adventures is completely different from this. It has monster, spell, and magic-item lists that are fairly standard fare in D&D books (though some of the magic item entries also have GH world lore in them).

More importantly as a campaign supplement, though, it has NPC entries for key personalities from the City of GH and the Valley of the Mage; it has info on the deities of GH (and for me, who owned this book before I owned the boxed set, this was the first place I learned about some of them - the Gazetteer, which I did own at that point, does not have deities info); and it as info on places of info like The Seat of Dust, Tovag Baragu, and the Pinnacles of Azor'alq that I mentioned before. None of these is apocrypha - they're core setting stuff.

Other "geographic" info is about the Pits of Azak-Zil (in the Abor-Alz), Skrellingshald (in the Griff Mts), the Sinking Isle (near the Sea Barons), the Twisted Forest (in the Drachensgrabs), the Burning Cliffs and the Rainbow Vale (in the far north), the Geysers of Death (in the Barrier Peaks), Esmerin (in the Lortmils) and Turucambi (off the coast of Hepmonaland). This is all similar to the material found in Adventures on the World of Greyhawk in the Glossography in the boxed set (especially the Lost Passage of the Suloise and the Jungle of Lost Ships).

Your description makes me think that you are talking about a different book altogether, though I'm not sure which one.

Yes well, @pemerton, let’s be honest, have you met an ADND book you didn’t think was great?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads