• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDAL 2014 Character Options Will be Playable in AL After the 2024 Release

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The only thing is Level 1 Subclasses move to Level 3. Probably handled in a sidebar.
I'll admit, I've sort of fell off the ONE D&D bandwagon and I'm a bit fuzzy as to the latest playtest rules... but I had noticed in previous versions that the levels at which a class got a subclass feature had been sort of unified. This affect more than just the "start" - for example, 2024 rogues get their 2nd subclass feature a lot earlier than 2014 rules (where it was at level 9). Has this changed again?

Iosue

Legend
I'll admit, I've sort of fell off the ONE D&D bandwagon and I'm a bit fuzzy as to the latest playtest rules... but I had noticed in previous versions that the levels at which a class got a subclass feature had been sort of unified. This affect more than just the "start" - for example, 2024 rogues get their 2nd subclass feature a lot earlier than 2014 rules (where it was at level 9). Has this changed again?
Yes. All classes get their subclass at level 3. Subsequent subclass features generally come at levels 6, 10, and 15, but it’s not uniform. As of the last playtest packet with the Rogue, they get their additional subclass features at levels 9, 13, and 17.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They reverted to the 2014 csdence for each Class, except for changing all Subclass starts to 3rd.

jgsugden

Legend
The assumption that I'm uninformed is rude.

That you are making a prediction for the future while using the present tense shows that you aren't currently right. You're guessing
Your view contradicts publicly available information. Again, I encourage you to look at the information coming directly from Amazon and from the store woners themselves. I am not guessing. I am not even introducing the view - I'm just repeating what the people that are directly and financially dependent upon being right about these things are saying.
We have the numbers from bookscan that are recent. These books are actively selling today.
They are selling - but at a tiny fraction of what a new book sells.

Put yourself in the shoes of WotC. You can either: a.) Continue to sell a book that is over 2500 down on the best seller list, or introduce a new book that refreshes that material and have it sell in the top 10 (before it, too eventually dies off).

Next time you're in your FLGS, look at the RPG shelves. Now, ask yourself what will change when they're trying to shelve the new version of D&D, the new competitors to D&D, and everything currently on the shelf. What is going to give first?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Your view contradicts publicly available information. Again, I encourage you to look at the information coming directly from Amazon and from the store woners themselves. I am not guessing. I am not even introducing the view - I'm just repeating what the people that are directly and financially dependent upon being right about these things are saying.
They are selling - but at a tiny fraction of what a new book sells.

Put yourself in the shoes of WotC. You can either: a.) Continue to sell a book that is over 2500 down on the best seller list, or introduce a new book that refreshes that material and have it sell in the top 10 (before it, too eventually dies off).

Next time you're in your FLGS, look at the RPG shelves. Now, ask yourself what will change when they're trying to shelve the new version of D&D, the new competitors to D&D, and everything currently on the shelf. What is going to give first?
Based on our publicly available information, SCAG is continuing to sell hundreds of copies every week. And it remains compatible with the new core rules, even for AL purposes, so Insee no reason to believe it woncontinuebtondonsonfor some time. The new Core are not a new game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The choice not to errata existing material and supersede it shows this is not actually the same edition. If it's the same edition it's either the SAME edition and they are the same, or it's the same EDITION and everything from the edition is allowed.
I mean, the tweet at the beginning of this thread shows that they did exactly that. For AL(official play) they superseded everything in 2014 that has updated 2024 stuff. It literally announces "No fundamental changes except for everything that is updated in the 2024 PHB" which is every class, the vast majority of subclasses, the vast majority of feats, huge numbers of spells, etc.

Because it isn’t a half elf writeup. It’s a way to build any mixed ancestry character. They’re distinct rules objects, one is not an update of the other.

It no more replaces the original writeup than the phb2024 replaces subclasses not appearing in the book, unless the text of the new phb explicitly says that the mixed ancestry mechanics presented replace existing specific writeups.
I suspect that removing the half-races as distinct entities is the pet cause of someone at WotC. So I would be very surprised if the new AL rules are written in a way that allows using the half-races from the 2014 phb.

Remove ads