D&D General Which was your favourite Forgotten Realms Cosmology?

Which was your favourite Forgotten Realms Cosmology?

• Original Great Wheel

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • World Tree

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • World Axis

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • 5e Great Wheel+

Votes: 14 18.9%

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yes, I've heard the old "goblins are fey in folklore so it totally makes sense". It's bogus. though.

Goblins might be akin to faerie creatures in folklore, but D&D goblins are most decidedly not "folklore" goblins. They are very clearly almost entirely cribbed from the work of Tolkien, an author who doesn't assign any "fey" connection to his creations. D&D even maintains Tolkien's "mistake" (as stated by himself) of hobgoblins being bigger, stronger goblins. Suddenly assigning them an inherent "fey-ness" goes completely against how they are portrayed in all of D&D's history (including 5e) and strikes me as another of the eye-rollingly daft decisions of the design team under Crawford's tenure. You might as well give snake hair and a tail to D&D gorgons.
The origins of the Goblinoid races in D&D has always been a mystery. Maglubiyet is a conqueror god that assimilates defeated gods and races. IMO, I think it makes sense for the backstory of Goblinoids to be the Feywild. Not to mention that Goblins in D&D are not accurate to Tolkien either, as Goblins and Hobgoblins were just types of Orcs in Middle Earth.

And I also think that Medusa in D&D should be called Gorgons. The bull monsters could be called something less confusing.

The origins of the Goblinoid races in D&D has always been a mystery. Maglubiyet is a conqueror god that assimilates defeated gods and races. IMO, I think it makes sense for the backstory of Goblinoids to be the Feywild. Not to mention that Goblins in D&D are not accurate to Tolkien either, as Goblins and Hobgoblins were just types of Orcs in Middle Earth.
I liked how the Goblinkin from the Critical Role series came to be.

During the Calamity, Bane revealed himself to the dranassar, a strong, cunning, multitudinous race of humanoids then living in what is now Xhorhas. Many of them, enthralled by Bane's power, followed him willingly, and their capital of Ghor Dranas became the seat of the Betrayer Gods' power. Those who opposed him were bent to his will and were corrupted first. When Bane needed skirmishers, he twisted some dranassar slaves into goblins; when he needed loyal legions, he made some dranassar into hobgoblins; when he needed spies or brute force, he turned them into bugbears. As the war raged on, even those loyal to him were corrupted to fill the ranks.

Something just occurred to me, the best place to exist in the planes for a Mindflayer to exist is Ysgard, everytime you eat someone's brain, they come back to life again the next day, so you can eat their brains again.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Something just occurred to me, the best place to exist in the planes for a Mindflayer to exist is Ysgard, everytime you eat someone's brain, they come back to life again the next day, so you can eat their brains again.
Mindflayers are cerebro-gourmands, having "performance eating" ceremonies where the audience uses a taste link power to experience the flavor of the subject's brain; they'd turn their nonexistent noses up at having the same meal each day.

"Ugh, Eleskrix is serving half-elven bard again? I miss the zesty tang of gnome barbarian. It's so hard to extract their brain while they're raging, but if you can it absolutely tickles the palate!"

Remove ads