• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Prestige Classes

Lord Vangarel

First Post
I was just wondering how everyone is choosing prestige classes to go into their campaigns. Does the DM set limits on which classes are available, make changes to the published classes to suit the campaign, or just let everything in to see how it works out?

At the moment I'm in the let everything in to see how it works out category but I wanted to see what others are doing.

Black Omega

First Post
I'm taking the tack that PrC's are a big deal in the world, so watching what one's I allow to make sure they fit into Rokugan. So far only two players are going for PrC's in my game. The WeaponMaster is from OA and fits fine. Mystic Wanderer isn't Rokugani by a class that by definiations travels all around is easy to see showing up. I'll bend logic a little, just not break it.:)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I have a specific list which I allow, and they are mostly home-brewed ones to fit particular niches in my game world.

WotC prestige classes which I use include Assassin, Arcane Archer, Iaijutsu master (Oriental adventures), Alienist, Duelist.

I don't believe in giving carte blanche to players "selecting" a prestige class - the ones which I have are there to underscore the campaign setting (rather than undermine it :))

Cheers

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Provided the player gives me plenty of warning, I let nearly everything in. I'm of the mind that players should have the freedom to create a PC that makes them happy. So long as the PrC is reasonably balanced (which most WoTC ones are,) and I have warning, I can usually find a way to work it into my campaign world.

If one of my players were to tell me they were going to take Alienist at their next level, I'd probably say no. But if, say, that player told me at 2nd-level that he was shooting for it, in all likelihood he'd come across a tentacled mentor at one point or another by the time he qualified for the class. :D

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Originally quoted by Lord Pendragon
If one of my players were to tell me they were going to take Alienist at their next level, I'd probably say no

Funny you should say that, one of my players has had a desire to play an Alienist for a while now and it's what inspired me to ask this question. He has given me plenty of warning though, all the way since the last campaign!!! :D

Tsyr

Explorer
I allow just about anything with advanced warning, like someone else said, but I always retain final say.

None that I consider unbalanaced

None that has absolutly no place in my campagin world (Ironicly, Alienist is an always-no-no... Doesn't fit in my cosmology. Elemental masters, on the other hand...)

Must provide background as to why the character should qualify and desire it.

Cullain

First Post
If the player wants to use a PrC that I feel is over-powered, I'll work with him to try and change things around. But other then that, as long as I know ahead of time(as in, a few levels before they decide), I'll typically let them take it.

Cullain

BluWolf

Explorer
I use Prc to represent different aspects of my homebrews culture. Most prestige classes have some sort of institutionalized organization around them. Others are just a little obvious, Assassins, Guild Thieves, Excorcists...

Most of the Prc have been tweeked, the Assassin does not have spells, the Paladin is not longer a class.... Things that just didn't fit with my cosmology.

Some are not allowed. Guild Mage, there are no magic schools or guilds IMC. No Greyhawk related clerical prestige classes, stuff like that.

So far we hav eonly had 1 character achieve a Prc (Mindbender) and 1 that is actively pursuing his goal of becoming a knight (Protector of the Great Kingdom).

Like everyone else, I just don't allow players to pick up a level of a Prc on the fly. ALL Prc have roleplaying requirements.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I have a list of what to allow - mostly DMG and FRCS ones. Also, I haven't created any by myself yet...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads