D&D (2024) What Should D&D 2024 Have Been +

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is the biggest problem with the concept of this thread in my opinion. We don’t know what we got yet.
I mean, we have a pretty good idea. We don’t know everything, but we have seen enough to form a decent picture of what’ll be changing on the player-facing side. Certainly enough that, had one been hoping for radical rules changes, one can be confident we won’t be getting them.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm not ready yet to reveal my engine until I work out a few details (character creation specifically)...but needless to say my idea is not at all novel. . .
It doesn't have to be novel to be good! D&D 2024 could have been based on Modos RPG, since it's a Creative Commons release. It hits all of the simplicity targets that D&D 2014 missed, and breaks out of the turn-by-turn grind with action-based combat. Also, the Hero Points are way more fun than Inspiration, because you get one per level, and they can power your cool class abilities that you design yourself.

(Does + mean pipe dreaming?)

It doesn't have to be novel to be good! D&D 2024 could have been based on Modos RPG, since it's a Creative Commons release. It hits all of the simplicity targets that D&D 2014 missed, and breaks out of the turn-by-turn grind with action-based combat.
Neat system. I didn’t know it.
Also, the Hero Points are way more fun than Inspiration, because you get one per level, and they can power your cool class abilities that you design yourself
"That you design yourself" is interesting to me. I've got something similar - where the player determines the concept (class) in a sense and what class features would be applicable.
Thanks!
(Does + mean pipe dreaming?)
Happy pipe dreaming I guess. :)

ezo

I cast invisibility
Very similar to what I have been working on. Interaction with just about everything is via a skill, with the exception of saves (for the moment).
I'm not ready yet to reveal my engine until I work out a few details (character creation specifically)...but needless to say my idea is not at all novel. I've borrowed massively from here and there but IMO its where D&D should have gone.
LOL, it is a popular concept as our new RPG is going in the same direction... Great minds, right? :)

Vaalingrade

Legend
I mean, we have a pretty good idea. We don’t know everything, but we have seen enough to form a decent picture of what’ll be changing on the player-facing side. Certainly enough that, had one been hoping for radical rules changes, one can be confident we won’t be getting them.
I mean, they could always D&D Next us, I suppose.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Honest question for those wanting 2024 D&D to be near/mostly 5e: Do you expect that you will ever want a true new full edition? If so, what's the criteria, since it's greater than 10 years (and a big anniversary) to trigger it.

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
Honest question for those wanting 2024 D&D to be near/mostly 5e: Do you expect that you will ever want a true new full edition? If so, what's the criteria, since it's greater than 10 years (and a big anniversary) to trigger it.
I both am super excited about 5.5e as planned, but also would've been ok with them doing a full 6e revision.

For me there isn't any criteria where I would be asking for a full new edition - it's more like I'd be fine with it now but they damn well better not eff it up, and they better have good ideas for how to make the new 6e revision be an actual improvement over 5e and not just change for the sake of change. From that perspective it definitely seems safer to follow their current path, doing minor tweaks to fix things that are obviously busted, while leaving the existing systems mostly intact.

I would expect that 6e version only happens when (if?) players start flocking to other games in droves and DnD playerbase dwindles. That's the only way the risk could become worth the reward

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
For me it doesn't really matter if they make a full 6E or just keep iterating on 5E, because for the most part I find 3E, 4E and 5E to all be foundationally similar-- roll a d20 and add some modifiers-- that I don't foresee a 6E or another iteration on 5E being all that different and thus to me it won't matter how they designate it.

Horwath

Legend
I both am super excited about 5.5e as planned, but also would've been ok with them doing a full 6e revision.

For me there isn't any criteria where I would be asking for a full new edition - it's more like I'd be fine with it now but they damn well better not eff it up, and they better have good ideas for how to make the new 6e revision be an actual improvement over 5e and not just change for the sake of change. From that perspective it definitely seems safer to follow their current path, doing minor tweaks to fix things that are obviously busted, while leaving the existing systems mostly intact.

I would expect that 6e version only happens when (if?) players start flocking to other games in droves and DnD playerbase dwindles. That's the only way the risk could become worth the reward
6E in 2034.
for 60th anniversary of D&D.

Remove ads