What is your favorite RPG book of all time?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Probably the Call of Cthulhu third edition hardcover by Games Workshop. I used to have six copies of it (one for every player). It's a great book, even if it does suffer from the same binding issues as other early GW hardcovers.

[Edit: Haha! I realized that I'd already answered this question! So, favorite core book: CoC 3rd GW edition. Favorite supplement: Palladium RPG Book II: Old Ones.]

Last edited:

Maenalis

Villager
Most read: D&D 3e PHB
Most "used": Eberron Campaign Setting/Guide
Most educational: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Most useful: 3e Cityscape, Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack
Most inspirational: Stronghold Builder's Guidebook (you can use the ideas for designing the dungeons/strongholds for the bad guys)
All time favorite: Ptolus (3e)
Current favorite: Kingmaker 2e

gban007

Adventurer
For me, the Forgotten Realms Campaign book for third edition, followed closely by the Serpent Kingdoms subsetting book, I found both great tomes for inspiration for what could happen during sandbox type play, with little tidbits and hints. The Campaign book is the one book I regret parting with, though have recently got the PDF version at least. While I play 5e now and not third, so the mechanical stuff isn't also useful, all the fluff is still great.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The Dungeon Crawl Classics Core Rulebook reignited my love to roleplaying games after getting burned out on official D&D stuff. So many issues people complain about in other RPGS (especially WotC-era D&D) are neatly and creatively solved in DCC, up to and including the explicit flexibility to add, drop, or change anything you want in it.

GMG5070_DCCRPG_HC_FrontCover.jpg

Last edited:

Fiend Folio for D&D. Was just blown away, yet I really don't remember why.
For Middle Earth, it was Bree and the Barrow Downs. I just really liked the organization of the book.
As far as a creative standpoint, I think Earthdawn and Masquerade really expanded my interests.
As far as adventures go, I have to tip my hat to The Cult of the Reptile God. I think I read it like 50 times as a kid.

Remove ads