What illusion will disguise an object?

dcollins

Explorer
What Core Rules illusion will visually disguise an object?

(For example, in the classical case of a wizard who wants to mask the particularly valuable magic item in his laboratory...)

From my search, there doesn't appear to be any such spell.
- PH p. 158 stipulates that "Figments cannot make something seem to be something else", and therefore the entire silent image... permanent image family is technically disallowed.
- The various non-figments which create a visual disguise are limited to creatures-only, not objects, such as change self, seeming, or veil.
- Some other spells will mask the appearance of an area from scrying but not physical vision, like obscure object or false vision.
- Screen will technically suffice, but it's very high level (8th), affects all of a large area, and only lasts for 1 day.

Is there any Core Rules illusion I'm missing that will specifically change the appearance of a single object (preferably for an extended amount of time)?

[Note: the only wiggle room I can find is the "illusory cottage" figment example on PH p. 158, which presumably must obscure vision of those inside from the outside... hence perhaps a silent image will suffice to make a covering or apparent container around a normal object?]

Last edited:

Magic Rub

First Post
dcollins said:
[Note: the only wiggle room I can find is the "illusory cottage" figment example on PH p. 158, which presumably must obscure vision of those inside from the outside... hence perhaps a silent image will suffice to make a covering or apparent container around a normal object?]

I've always allowed a silent image to make a covering or apparent container around a normal object. It is a concentration base spell however, so if you want to spend the time to sit there & concentrate on covering up something that's up to you. You'd have to be within sight of the object. And for extended periods you may want to think about concentration checks, Will, or Fort saves. eg) "I've been standing here for 23 hours with no food or drink. I've wet myself 3 times & I think I might have to take a number 2 soon. But I'm O.K.!"

This might not be the best course of action. You could write a high(er) level version of silent image that isn't concentration based.

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
The silent image example is really just to imply that the whole family, e.g., permanent image, may also be appropriate in the same sense.

S

shurai

If it were me as the DM, I would allow Silent/Permanent Image to disguise an item or object as follows:

Since a Figment could conceivably be an opaque object of some kind, that means that it would conceal whatever is behind the object, because that's how light works. A Silent Image copy of an object, just a bit larger than the original and placed in the same location, would therefore conceal the original.

But there would be many problems. The Image wouldn't be affected if the table holding up the original was pulled away, and if anyone tried to touch the object, the illusion would stay in place and the real object would get knocked over.

Of course, a mage wishing to move the Image around after someone picks up the original would have to succeed at some pretty tough Spellcraft checks to keep the illusion in the right place as the person waves their hands around or something. And that says nothing of the person noticing that their hands have sunken into the illusion by a little way!

Boy, this is interesting. I sure hope it comes up in my game! :]

-S

Remove ads