What CR for a blinded (sewn) beholder?

Steven McRownt

First Post
IMC i have a beholder trapped in a "bonus level" dungeon. It had his central eye sewn, and he can sustain himself just because there are a couple of trolls from whom he eat parts (that regenerate).

The party will probably open the door of that sealed part of the dungeon, freeing it. But he'll be so hungry of fresh meat that will not thanks too much the adverurers, or at least have different plans for them if it can convince them first to unsewn his eyes.

If the party will attack the beholder while he's still sewn, how should i manage the CR? I've replaced the improved initiative feat with blind-sight, but having not the central antimagic eye is a grat loss...

Please help me handle that...

Steven McRownt

We fough a Ghost Beholder last Saturday, and I must say, I was not impressed with the Antimagic Eye. :)
In fact, it was much more save to be inside this eye than outside, since he couldn`t throw nasty rays at one.

Well, being perfectly preferred for this monster, we had no problems. (Most attacks failed, and if they didn`t fail, the Saving Throws succeeded)
Our Admantite and/or Ghost Touch weapon finally killed the poor Ghost Beholder :)

Well, anyway: Reduce the CR by 1. The Beholder isn`t really blind - his other eyes (with the rays) stil work...

Mustrum Ridcully

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Mustrum_Ridcully said:

The Beholder isn`t really blind - his other eyes (with the rays) stil work...

Exactly. It'll still have ten smaller eyes to see with.

There's even a Beholder Mage prestige class in Monsters of Faerun that requires the Beholder to put out their central eye.

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
If the eye is just stitched shut-- not actually destroyed-- the beastie should be able to help itself. Beholders may lack hands, but they can manipulate objects by using the Telekinesis eye.

Speaking of eye powers, have you thought about how difficult it would be do keep a beholder imprisoned? When a monster can cast Disintegrate at will, it usually has no trouble tunnelling out of any enclosure.

Steven McRownt

First Post
Thanx everybody.

I know that a disintegrate at will eye could help lots of people (and monsters) to not be imprisoned for centuries (actually he wouldn't die being too old because its diet is made of troll's parts), but i am probaby going to solve in a different way the problem... i can't chop down all the eyes that could help him to escape!!!!

I was thinking to give to the walls of this cavern a sort of regenerative powers: after all the idea was to find a way to trap a beholder, and try to leave it helpless BUT alive. Actually powerful magic pervades all the tunnels and caverns (They're a part of the upper connection to the surface used in differents generations by different families of drow, now prize of a war between troglodytes (a very large tribe.... thanks to the slayer's guide they can be very dangerous foes) and driders

Steven McRownt

Remove ads