• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wands used by Rangers/Paladins

cloaker

First Post
Can a Low-Level Ranger or Paladin (one without spells per day yet) use a Wand of Cure Light wounds or a Wand of some other spell in there respective lists ?

I wanted to know the "official" rules since I cant seem to find any about this one in special.

If there are no official rules, how do you rule this in your game ?
Do you allow a 1st level Ranger use a Wand of Cure Light or only at 4th level when he gets spells ?

Thanks
cloaker

Shin Okada

Explorer
Wands are spell trigger item. So read DMG P.175 "Spell Trigger". It clearly states that a low-level paladin, who cannot yet cast spells by himself, can use a wands if the spell is in his class's spell-list.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The answer is yes. Check out the DMG, page 175, under the Spell Trigger heading. It says even a character who cannot yet cast spells can use a wand if the spell is on his list. It lists a 3rd level paladin as an example.

Geoff Watson

First Post
I have a house rule that Paladins and Rangers arn't considered to be spellcasters or have a spell list until they can actually cast spells. This makes Rangers and Paladins less front-loaded.

Geoff.

hong

WotC's bitch
Geoff Watson said:
I have a house rule that Paladins and Rangers arn't considered to be spellcasters or have a spell list until they can actually cast spells. This makes Rangers and Paladins less front-loaded.

I think I'll use that!

Remove ads