Sunder and The Pit Fiend

hong

WotC's bitch
Umbran said:

Yeah, well, to the DM it may seem like cinematics. It's somewhat more likely to be a rules-point to the poor slob whose sword you just broke. Cinematics are all well and good until you're the victim of them, rather than the instigator :)

Well, I've harped on in the past about not taking players' toys away from them:

http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10974

However, that doesn't mean I'm completely against the notion of destroying magic items. It just means that sundering shouldn't be something that happens without a context that makes it meaningful. In fact, for every Durandal that can't be destroyed no matter how hard you try, there's a Narsil that goes snap in the middle of killing the foozle. Sometimes a lot of drama can be served up by having the demon break a fallen warrior's weapon in two, and then pointing to the PC and saying, "you're next".

Mr.Binx

First Post
Aye, according to the rules in the system base books (MM, PHB, & DMG) the monster would require something that gives him a magical enhancement bonus such as magic fang equal to or greater than the enhancement bonus of the opponent's magic weapon and have the unarmed sunder feat from S&F (sorry, the feat's name eludes me atm) or the pit fiend must be using a magical slashing weapon no less than one size smaller than the magical weapon being attacked with an enhancement bonus equal to or greater than that of the target magical weapon (Strike a Weapon; PHB, p.136).

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, I know by the rules it isn't allowed. It just seems to be "symmetrical" as was pointed out. But, strictly by the rules, no not legal.

IceBear

kreynolds

First Post
hong said:
Sometimes a lot of drama can be served up by having the demon break a fallen warrior's weapon in two, and then pointing to the PC and saying, "you're next".

Oh, hell yeah! It's one of the reasons that I like Nightwalkers so much, though they don't really strike me as the particularlly villianous type, but they can be if role-played well, especially one that feels he's at the top of the food chain in a dungeon, and in most respects, he pretty much is at the top.

Steel Predators also provide excellent tactital support for other powerful villains, and they're quite exotic in combat and appreance. Throw in an Iron Golem into the mix and you have a very nasty group of baddies. :D

Actually, it's in the DMG, under the section of damage reduction (yes the demon can break the sword without a house rule). I suggest someone talk to Sean K Reynolds about this, since he frequents his own messageboards. But I already know what he'll say...

kreynolds

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Actually, it's in the DMG, under the section of damage reduction (yes the demon can break the sword without a house rule).

Actually, it's not. All that it states is that a creature with DR can bypass another creature's DR if the second creature's DR is equal to or lower than the attacking creature's DR. I don't see anything that states DR allows you to harm magic weapons, only other creatures with DR equal to or lesser than yours.

I might have missed it though.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be confrontational. I just don't see it in there.

Last edited:

Remove ads