Suffocation Spells! (Was --Is this spell's level correct as written?)

Geoff Watson

First Post
Mordane76 said:

A fireball is not just making the air really hot -- it is actually hitting everyone in the area with a magically-created burst of fire, so it is directly affecting everyone in its area.

Close enough. (Or, the spell creates the fire. What the fire burns is nothing to do with the spell, directly, it just created the fire.)

I could 'semantic' half the spells in the PHB to be SR:No, if we allow your interpretion.

Geoff.

Mordane76

First Post
Re: Re: Is this spell's level correct as written?

I'm still partially unconvinced, but because other spells of 4th level that deal similar energy effects (including wall of ice) can be SR'ed, I'll back off.

Ti'akul's Frozen Breath
Evocation (Cold)
Level:Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: See text
Duration: 10 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

An ingenious spell developed by the ancient arcanist Ti'akul, this spell freezes the air in a target's lungs, which will suffocate that target. The caster must make a ranged touch attack against the intended target; if he hits, the air in the target's respiratory passages freezes, and the target immediately begins to suffocate as per the rules on suffocation presented in core rulebook II, page 88. The frozen air also reduces the time a target can effectively hold their breath by half, as the cold damages their delicate membranes.

While this spell is in effect, the target cannot speak, because he cannot pass air out of his lungs, which prevents spellcasters from casting spells with verbal components. Also, the frozen air is a continuing effect, which means that one cannot forcibly melt the ice with hot air or exposure to fire -- a dispel magic or break enchantment will end the spell's effects, and allow normal melting of the ice.

This spell has no effect on creatures that do not breathe.

Material components: an ice cube, which is hurled at the target as part of the spell; the ice cube need not actually strike the target for the spell to take effect.

EDIT: Changed to SR: Yes, removed saving throw -- target already gets ranged touch attack and SR to resist.

Last edited:

Hashmalum

Explorer
As for your spell -- does the interment leave a loose dirt or is the place where the target is dragged under left as though he never entered the earth? This would make a difference in how hard it is to dig ones' self out of the ground after the duration.
Eh, I was thinking loose earth. The earth has been formed into dozens of hands, the target has probably struggled quite a bit kicking up dirt as they go down, and the ground has had a creature forcibly dragged down through it. It's quite violent, actually. If it magically parted the earth and restored it later, then it would work on rock, and it doesn't--that would be just too brutal.

Mordane76

First Post
I'd look at the rules for cave-ins in the DMG, then -- I think they might have something useful for digging ones' self out of your spell.

Al

First Post
Seems fine at 4th level.

It is clearly not 5th level, as it is weaker than Slay Living (Slay Living kills immediately and inflicts damage on a succesful save), and is probably in line with Polymorph Other and Phantasmal Killer.

Remove ads