• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog (A5E) Spellcasting Monsters in Level Up

One of our goals with the Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition Monstrous Menagerie was to make enemy spellcasters less of a pain to run. With an updated stat block format, we've made it possible to run a complex battle without looking up spells in another book or online resource–all while working as expected with existing spells and features like counterspell and antimagic field...

One of our goals with the Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition Monstrous Menagerie was to make enemy spellcasters less of a pain to run. With an updated stat block format, we've made it possible to run a complex battle without looking up spells in another book or online resource–all while working as expected with existing spells and features like counterspell and antimagic field.

As an example, here's our NPC priest stat block:

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.53.37 PM.png

In Level Up, if a monster or NPC's spell is likely to see use in combat, we include it as an action (or reaction, or bonus action) in their stat block. For instance, in the priest's stat block, spirit guardians is fully detailed as an action, just like their mace attack. You don't need another book or an online tool to run a monster.

Spells are spells​

The spirit guardians action is listed in the priest’s Spellcasting trait, which means that it's a spell. It interacts with the usual spellcasting rules: a rival priest can cast dispel magic on it, and the priest can't cast it and healing word in the same turn. It doesn't break or ignore any of the usual rules of the game.

Our stat block also notes that spirit guardians is a concentration spell (so whack that evil priest and force a concentration check!), and we list its spell components of V, S, and M (someone cast a silence spell!)

Guidance for the Narrator​

We don't convert every spell into an action. That would lead to unmanageable, multi-page stat blocks. If it's a utility spell or it's not usually worth casting in combat, then it appears only in the monster's spell list and not as an action. You might find a clever use for a utility spell - or want to look up additional rules, like how to cast a spell with a higher slot. In that case, you'll have to consult the spell description. Most of the time, though, you can run a monster quite efficiently without consulting another book.

Powerful spellcasters have a lot of options! That's a feature of the game, not a bug. Our most complex spellcaster, the lich, has 22 spells prepared, of which nine are detailed in its stat block. Still, the lich stat block fits handily on one page spread - with room left for a section of combat advice.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.55.58 PM.png

Between our various stat block changes–the curated list of spells in the stat block, the notes for concentration and components, and the combat advice–Level Up lets you run every spellcaster, even a complex and high-level one like a lich, with zero prep.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 1.57.20 PM.png

We're proud of our spellcaster format. Rather than inventing new tech that changes the way the game works, we've polished the presentation to provide maximum usability. We think it's going to be the state of the art for quite some time.

Paul Hughes

Paul Hughes

Arcaneshield

Explorer
I've been really dissapointed with 5e dnd, not just because it killed my game of choice, 4e, but because it was poorly designed and lacking customization and real investment for martial characters. What I've seen of Level-Up has me actually considering running it.

Maybe I can meld level up with iron kingdoms and run a gonzo steampunk game!

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I've been really dissapointed with 5e dnd, not just because it killed my game of choice, 4e, but because it was poorly designed and lacking customization and real investment for martial characters. What I've seen of Level-Up has me actually considering running it.

Maybe I can meld level up with iron kingdoms and run a gonzo steampunk game!
That should work just about effortlessly, provided you use the 5e Iron Kingdoms supplements.

Immunity to low-to-moderate level spells is a defining feature of a lich? I can't find anything about that in 1e, 2e, 3e, or 5e, and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing a 4e monster would have. The only monster I can think of off-hand that has blanket immunity to spells below a certain level are rakshasa. And I guess Tiamat.
The 5e Lich has the spell Globe of Invulnerability, which gives it immunity to all spells of 5th level or lower.

The big change I'm seeing here though is that the A5E Lich is only a 16th level wizard, not 18th. Which means no Power Word Kill.

Staffan

Legend
The 5e Lich has the spell Globe of Invulnerability, which gives it immunity to all spells of 5th level or lower.
Sure, but that's a spell that anyone (well, anyone who's an 11th level sorcerer or wizard) could learn. It's not a defining trait of the lich any more than finger of death or fireball is. It takes an action to cast, lasts for 1 minute/concentration (so you can't really pre-cast it, and it prevents you from casting additional concentration spells). It is also a fixed area when cast (so if you are moved outside of it you're no longer protected), and is a once/day spell (since it's 6th level) – although that trait is somewhat mitigated by the lich's lair action to recover spell slots of potentially up to 8th level. In other words, it has all the traits of a tool you sometimes use, not an inherent ability to ignore lesser magic.

Remove ads

Remove ads