• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Magic Missile still a Force Effect?

graydoom

First Post
Hmmm... is a Shadow Fireball still firey and would it still deal double damage to [Cold] creates on a failed save?

I don't really know, but I would say yes to that, and therefore yes to your question also.

Better get a second opinion, though.

Lord Elias

First Post
shadow effect

YES it is a force effect. It is illusion(shadow) and force combined.

Example, a shadow fireball cast on a tree STILL makes the tree catch on fire. At worst, it is 20% real for any object.

So, at worst, the magic missile is 20% force.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
According to a strict reading of the spell, I would have to say no. Shadow evocation is a spell of the Illusion school and the Shadow subschool. The spell description does *not* say that when casting a spell of a given elemental subtype (force, fire, etc) that the shadow evocation is considered to be a spell of that subtype. The gate spell, in contrast, clearly describes when the spell does and does not gain additional subtypes.

In practice, though, I would have to agree with Lord Elias. I would rule that it is a full force effect, unless the target disbelieves in which case 20% of it is still a "real" force effect.

Remove ads