• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

See through mists/darkness/blahblahblah

trentonjoe

Explorer
The lastest dragon magazine has a monster, I think it's called Shadow Demon, that can cast obscuring mist as an ability. That got me thinking, can it see through the mist?

The spell says it obscures all vision, even darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Now, here are the questions:

1. Can the caster see through his own spell? ( I think no is the answer but checking)

2. What is the name of the ability that can see in any conditions?

3. What monsters have this ability?

Thanks in advance.

MythandLore

First Post
trentonjoe said:
The lastest dragon magazine has a monster, I think it's called Shadow Demon, that can cast obscuring mist as an ability. That got me thinking, can it see through the mist?

The spell says it obscures all vision, even darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Now, here are the questions:

1. Can the caster see through his own spell? ( I think no is the answer but checking)

2. What is the name of the ability that can see in any conditions?

3. What monsters have this ability?

Thanks in advance.

1) No

2) Blindsight

3) Dragons, I think bats and others.

graydoom

First Post
Re: Re: See through mists/darkness/blahblahblah

MythandLore said:

2) Blindsight

3) Dragons, I think bats and others.

Actually, blindsight doesn't work in some situations, depending on what the blindsight is based on. Bats blindsight is based on sound (effectively sonar) and as such a Silence spell "blinds" them. Since a dragon's blindsight relies on "mostly hearing and scent, but also by noticing vibration and other environmental clues", a combination of Silence, a strong stench pervading the area, and something to stop vibration (such as floating a foot above the ground) would counteract it.

Blindsight has both ups and downs. Yes, you can see through stuff like obscuring mist and Darkness, but a simple Silence can leave you effectively blind.

drowdude

First Post
Devils have an ability called "See in Darkness" that allows them to see perfectly in any sort of darkness, magical or mundane.

Not entirely sure that I would apply that to Obscuring Mist though *shrugs*

Then any creature that has Blindsight (such as Dragons) would be relatively uneffected by the spell depending on how far their blindsight extended.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
There are lots of different sense abilities. Off the top of my head:

Low-light Vision (elves)
Darkvison (dwarves)
Tremorsense (thoqua)
Blindsight (bats)
Scent (dogs)
Superior Low-Light Vision (giant owl)
Keen Senses (dragons) - blindsight + doubled Low-Light Vision

Remove ads