Refitting the gith races to be ECL +0

whydirt

First Post
I'm retooling the Gith races (Githyanki and Githzerai) for my campaign, and I'd like to be able to offer them as ECL +0 races for PC's. Since the way they are presented in the official books is much more powerful than that, I've had to tone them down a bit.

I've also changed some things around to fit the change in they way these races fit into my campaign world. The short version is that while the Gith races formed from being slaves under an Illithid empire, the differences between the Githzerai and Githyanki didn't form after their liberation but from their function while enslaved. The Githyanki were the front-line soldiers and grunt workers for the Mind-Flayers while the Githzerai were forced to develop metacreative talents to become craftsmen.

Here are the stat blocks:

Githyanki
+2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom.
Medium size.
Githyanki base speed is 30 feet.
Low-light Vision: Githyanki can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+2 racial saving throw bonus against Enchantment spells or effects.
+1 racial bonus to attack against all Illithids and Illithid-kin.
Githyanki with Consitution scores of 11 or higher may manifest the 1st-level psionic power vigor once per day. Treat the githyanki as a 1st-level manifester for all effects dependent on level.
Favored Class: Fighter.

Githzerai
+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
Medium size.
Githyanki base speed is 30 feet.
Low-light Vision: Githyanki can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+2 racial saving throw bonus against Enchantment spells or effects.
+1 racial bonus to attack against all Illithids and Illithid-kin.
+2 racial bonus to all Craft checks.
Githzerai with Intelligence scores of 10 or higher may manifest the 0-level psionic power (talent) trinket twice per day. Treat the githzerai as a 1st-level manifester for all effects dependent on level.
Favored Class: Psion.

What do you think? Are these reasonable? If anything I feel like I might have overcompensated and made them underpowered, but I'd like a more objective opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
just a suggestion/idea ...

you could create the orignial 'gith' race (well before 'yanki and 'zerai split).

without all the special abilities and what not (kind of what you have) ...

Remove ads