• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with Polymorph Other!

OK, my human 7th level Wizard Chu Li made the mistake of messing with a certain object and got turned into a dwarf via high-level polymorph other trap. Chu is upset with this, but thinking back to his quest to live forever he realizes that perhaps being a dwarf isn't so bad - they do live longer than a human, so perhaps this is a good way to gain more time to research for immortality.

My question is how being polymorphed affects my character. I read the spell, you get the physical stats (STR, DEX, CON) of the new form, and none of the special powers. The sticky question is what happens as you level if you stay in the new form?

For example, do I continue to get the extra skill points/feats/etc. for being a human? I'm still a human soul in a now dwarf body, so I should continue to level as a human (my interpretation). My hitpoints have changed, since I have increased my CON (was 10 now is the Dwarf common stat of 13). I'm assuming I get the CON bonus until I return to human form (if I ever do) as if I was wearing a CON+ item.

Essentially I applied the dwarf physical stats and appearance as a template, and keep all other things about my character as a human (skill points, preferred class rules, etc.). Is this correct?

Finally, I saw a neat plot hook for you GM's out there (assuming I have understood the polymorph other effects correctly). As a dwarf, I am assuming I get the lifespan of a dwarf since it's a dwarf body. So, I can live well beyond the lifespan of a normal human... until somebody casts "Dispell Magic" on me at 300 years old and I instantly turn into the corpse of a human. Could be a fun NPC wizard type who is in hiding 'cause he's been in another form too long and is now terrified he will get dispelled and killed... or perhaps his enemies hire the party to "save a poor cursed dwarf" by finding him and casting dispell magic on him...

The possibilities are very great for plot fun.

- Billboard Baggins

Vaxalon

First Post
No, sorry

Your physical stats turn into those of an AVERAGE dwarf.

That means Str 10, Dex 10, Con 13, or thereabouts.

You do NOT get hit points for the con bonus. Your hit points stay the same. You DO get the bonus to your fortitude save, however.

I'd say that yes, you do get the Dwarven lifespan, but if it were dispelled, you'd be turned into a human of proportionate age, not the same age. That is, if you were an old dwarf, you'd be transformed into an old human.

Otherwise there would be no way for a human to polymorph into an adult elf!

Rashak Mani

First Post
vaxakolon got it right... no hitpoints and only fort bonus

Your lifespan is longer now... your happines indicates that you didnt have very good pyshsical stats... also you will take a long time to get acquainted with your new body as per rules... they dont say how long... so dont start running just yet... :)

Personally I would take -2 cha from you since your and ugly average dwarf... but beuty is only skin deep :)

Immort

First Post
Actually, in the errata, there is no more mention of time spent adjusting to the new form. Your "type" stays the same, so you would most likely continue to gain skills and feats as a human. I really don't know how age would work. Your str. con. and dex. as mentioned before would change to the stats for an average dwarf in the monster manual though your int. wis. and char. would remain the same. You do not gain any extra hit points from the added con though as mentioned you do gain the improved fort. save.
-Immort

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Personally I would take -2 cha from you since your and ugly average dwarf... but beuty is only skin deep :)

Well, he'd become an average dwarf, which does not mean that he'd be ugly. So I don't see any reason to deduct charisma. In fact, because he retains his old charisma, he may be much more charismatic than your average dwarf. Whether you acquaint charisma with physical beauty or not, it's possible he's a "average-looking" dwarf with a powerful presence!

In fact, I have a fighter/mage who's about to learn the spell Polymorph Self next level. He's looking forward into polymorphing into a Troll. When he does, since his charisma is 13 rather than the usual Troll's low score, he may be the noblest-looking Troll anyone's ever seen! ;)

Remove ads