• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mount for a large sized creature

arkzist

First Post
ok here's the deal i have a player playing a minotaur paladin, yes i have given him permission and it fits into his back story... but well when he reaches the level he can get a mount what would he be able to use only things i can find have a cr much to high any suggestions, and please let me know which book to find them in

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I recalled a table in the DMG for higher leveled mounts (works like a druid getting better animal companions), but a google search was easier than going to the books.
Mount options. D&D 3.5 - Giant in the Playground Forums

"Okay. Found it. Page 204.

Level 6: Celestial Heavy Warhorse, Dire Wolf, Hippogriff, Large Monstrous Spider, Large Shark, Unicorn, Celestial Warpony, Dire Bat, Dire Badger, Dire Weasel, Giant Lizard

Level 7: Dire Boar, Dire Wolverine, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Pegasus, Rhinoceros, Sea Cat

Level 8: Dire Lion, Griffon"

Side note: Some creatures introduced in the "Races of" books as well as animals in Sandstorm, Stormwrack, and Frostburn were given animal companion equivalent levels and added to that list, I forget if they made them available as paladin mounts, too.

Corsair

First Post
The DMG gives a guideline for picking appropriate other creatures based on the CR of the mount. I forget what the guideline IS off the top of my head, and I don't have my books handy. Whatever it is, note that it is a guideline, not a rule. Compare it to existing options. Most huge creatures will be CR 7+, so you're probably looking at Paladin level 9+, regardless. I "believe" the guideline is CR = paladin level - 2.

Huge or Advanced to Huge:

Dire Bear, Advanced (17 HD): CR 9
Dire Lion, Advanced (17 HD): CR 9
Megaraptor, Advanced (17 HD): CR 10
Triceratops: CR 9
Tyrannosaurus: CR 8
Elephant: CR 7

frankthedm

First Post
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd-edition-rules/267679-mounts-large-paladins.html

Easiest way would make a Saddle of Embiggening magic item that works stat wise like a continual enlarge person item*. There might be an equivalent item in MIC .

*Only functioning when the rider mounts might reduce the battlefield clutter inherit to having a huge mount around.

Dungeonscape had some a useful and flavorful paladin mount swap out ability.

Dungeonscape Excerpts

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3r...-paladin-mount-replacement-viable-option.html

PHBII also had a swap out ability for the paladin's mount that doubled charging damage.

EDIT

As suggested by another poster, a Chariot pulled by the bonded mount might be an alright choice since the 3.5 minotaur is not THAT heavy,.

Last edited:

D.a.n.t.e

First Post
Question, So I'm playing a Trox "Large" Samurai who gets a mount but it doesn't say which creator. What creator would be best for me?

aco175

Legend
@D.a.n.t.e Welcome to the site and hope you stay a while. You did post to a 12 year old thread, which we do not mind, but I think we need more information to go by. I think I'm reading the post wrong in that you wrote creator but meant creature.

glass

(he, him)
I kinda wonder what the OP did in the end with their minotaur paladin. But since they never made another post, it is unlikely they are still around to tell us....

_
glass.

Remove ads