Item Creation & CL

Nenya

First Post
Here are a few questions regarding the "Caster Level" entry in the DMG for magical items, and how it pertains to item creation. Please, if at all possible, could you refer to the sources where you got your answers from? My DM prefers to see "documentation" about this sort of thing. Thanks in advance. :)

• Is the Caster Level entry in the DMG under each magic item a prerequisite for item creation?
  • Does the crafter have to meet the 'Caster Level' entry in order to make the item?
  • Does the caster only have to meet the minimum requirements of the item creation feat and spell? For example, coulld a 5th-level character make Winged Boots (DMG, p. 211) if they had Craft Wondrous Item, fly and the necessary gold and XP?
  • Can you set the Caster Level for any items besides scrolls, potions and wands as anything different, so long as the CL is within the minimum level needed to cast the spells/use the feat and your level?
  • What are the penalties of setting the Caster Level of an item differently than what is presented in the DMG?
  • If there is a separate entry for "caster must be X level" under prerequisites, does it supercede the 'Caster Level' entry?
  • Do you have to meet both the 'Caster Level' entry AND the "caster must be X level" in the 'Prerequisites' entry?

Lord Ben

First Post
I think a weapon of spell storing specifically states you must be 12th level. I believe that's a good example of a specific rereq. The CL is only an indication of the normal caster level you find on a certain item. IE, randomly generated.

Nenya

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Is this stated anywhere? I looked in the DMG and it wasn't really clear that CL were sorta optional.

hong

WotC's bitch
The caster level rules are ambiguous on whether they're prerequisites. Some people believe they should be prereqs, thus since winged boots have a CL of 9th, you have to be 9th level to make them. Others think they're simply the item's default level (ie what's most likely to be found in a treasure hoard), and as long as you meet the (separately listed) prereqs, you can make them. In this case, if your caster level is lower than the item's listed level, the latter is reduced to match your own -- eg a 5th level caster with the fly spell would make winged boots that have a caster level of 5.

Monte Cook and (I believe) the Sage take the latter view. Dan Collins has written up a long essay on why it should be the former. Can't remember the URL of his home page, but I'm sure he'll be along eventually.

Remove ads