• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

item creation & caster level

laiyna

First Post
hi,

This is prob discused before but I can't find it. Why are the caster levels mentioned that are below the level of the feats you need? Like forge ring can be taken at caster level 12, but a lot of rings require a lower caster level to be made.

thanks,

Lai

dcollins

Explorer
Keep in mind that some of Monte's comments contradict the Core Rules (notably in that the DMG does say that listed caster levels are in fact minimums for any creator), as discussed here: www.superdan.net/dndfaq2.html

That's not specific to the poster's particular question, but since he's being directed to Monte's essay, I figured I'd point it out.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Okay, back to the original topic (in a desparate hope to not turn this into yet another discussion of whether the listed caster levels are prerequisites).

As to why a ring would have a caster level lower than 12th, there's not much reason. There's no price break for making rings with caster level lower than you can manage, unlike with some other types of magic items. There is, however, at least one reason I can think of.

When two or more characters cooperate in the creation of a magic item, the person with the Forge Ring feat may not be the item's creator for purposes of setting the caster level. That does make a strange default assumption for the caster level of a type of magic item, but it is one reason why you might do this.

Belares

First Post
Ok with what you say..then you have to be 12th level to forge a ring of invisibilty. Lets see caster level is a moot point(in as much you cannot be below 3rd level arcane caster to cast invisibilty) as it is a level 2 spell (so must be at least 3rd level arcane caster) and you already have the prereq. (level 12) so unless you do not have the spell you can make it. What i mean is that you have to be at least 3rd level arcane caster to meet the requirement, why put anymore into it as it has no other effects.

Making a wand or item that could be effected by a higher caster level as the other posts said are the exception.

kreynolds

First Post
Belares said:
What i mean is that you have to be at least 3rd level arcane caster to meet the requirement, why put anymore into it as it has no other effects.

The ring would have better saves and better resistance to dispel magic with a higher caster level.

The caster level of the magic item is exactly that, it's the caster level of the item. It's the caster level you use to determine dispel checks and such. It's also the caster level you use when making saving throws for the item. It isn't really a prereq for making the item, as illustrated by the ring examples.

If a ring has a caster level of 4th, that doesn't mean that you can make the ring at 4th level. All that means is that the ring gets its saves as a 4th level caster, etc, etc. Sometimes the caster level of the item and the minimum caster level required to make the item are the same, but not always.

Very strange, isnt it?

Last edited:

Remove ads