• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Deflect Arrows

Zog

First Post
Deflect Arrows is one of those Monk abilities that sounds cool - but really isn't all that great. A reflex save at 20 - which as a min/maxed monk you could have a 50% chance to pull off around level 7 or so. Sooner if you have a level or rogue. But it is still only 1 arrow per round.

Thus, I recommend the following: Improved Deflect Arrows
Requires: Deflect arrow ability, Combat Reflexes

Able to deflect, per the deflect arrow ability/feat, 1+Dex mod missles per round, assuming you are aware of them.

Simple, basic, not overpowered (quite likely underpowered!) but an interesting option. Especailly if you follow the OA monk, and add this feat as one that could be taken instead of, say, improved trip.

So, sugestions on ways to make it more useful? Would it help to add a +2 circumstance modifier to reflex saves made to deflect arrows? (ie - you are better, and can do it more often)
Other thoughts?

the Jester

Legend
Hey, Zog, I have almost exactly that same feat in my game too. I wanted monks to be able to replicate the 1e powers as much as possible. I think the only difference between yours and mine is that I require a dex of 13.

since he requires combat reflex and is basing the number of arrows deflectable based on dex mod its assumed they will AT LEAST have a dex 13, otherwise his feat is 100% worthless. (i would bet on them having at least a dex of 16 to be honest)

Also its pre-req would be almost worthless without a dex 13+. The only thing combat reflexes would do without the 13+ dex is allow you to make AoO when flatfooted

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
How about this version.

Requires: deflect arrows.
You may deflect any number of arrows. Make a reflex save at 20+3*(number of previous deflections this round.)

So you are hit with four arrows.
You may make saves at 20 for the first, 23 for the second, 26 for the third, 29 for the fourth.

It becomes progressivly harder to avoid being hit.

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
Actually in the campaign, that I am in currently, we allow that anyone who is stupid enough or willing wnough to except it that they are already allowed to deflect their dex mod arrows a round.

Remove ads