• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gripe about the WotC splatbooks

Fenros

First Post
Did I hear somewhere that WotC was thinking about doing a re-printing of 'Sword and Fist'?

Was that true or just rumor?

--------------------------------------------

Off-Topic (sorry): Wolfspider wrote:
Many, many people have the misconception about poetry that it is some innate, mystical talent. Similarly, many people feel that writing is a gift instead of a skill; this makes teaching people to write especially hard, when they all fall back on the excuse that they "don't have it in them." Bah.

Agreed. Same goes for art too.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Fenros said:
Did I hear somewhere that WotC was thinking about doing a re-printing of 'Sword and Fist'?

--------------------------------------------

Off-Topic (sorry): Wolfspider wrote:

Agreed. Same goes for art too.
I remember hearing that, but it's been, like, half a year since then...

Holy Bovine

First Post
Fenros said:

i would imagine that when they sell out of the original print run of S&F that they second run would have errors corrected in it. this should be true of all the classbooks (and I, too, hate the expression splatbook).

The format has never really bothered me but I scan the feats & spells and print them out and add them to my DM binder. I also cross out those that will not be allowed (like Energy Admixture - WTF was up with that one?) without having to mark up my precious, precious books :)

Tom Cashel

First Post
BenBrown said:

Makes it a chore to find a given thing
You're looking for. The errors that crept in
Amongst the prestige classes also grates.

I must salute Ben Brown for his fine verse
You'll find that my reply's succinct and terse...
Notice I said I do not write the stuff--
I did not mean my language skills aren't buff.
I'd rather not contort to fit a form
That forces every line into a norm.
But I shall walk the walk for but a trice
Just long enough to give you some advice:
In future verse I'd like for you to see
That all your verbs and subjects do agree.

;)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Tom Cashel said:
...Some would say that evoking emotion in the listener is a lot more important than staining your pages as you sweat over iambic pentameter. Not necessarily my opinion...

That's my opinion. if poetry isn't about connecting with the reader/listener, then it's just masturbatory.

Impeesa

Explorer
BenBrown - don't mean to be picky, but for 'natural iambic pentameter' you've got an awful lot of dactylic feet liberally sprinkled around. :D

--Impeesa--

Tom Cashel

First Post
Teflon Billy said:

That's my opinion. if poetry isn't about connecting with the reader/listener, then it's just masturbatory.

No one bother me.

I'll be in the masturbatory--uh, I mean, conservatory. :)

I agree, Billy, to some extent...but there's lots of writing I admire that is just nice to look at (e.g. The Tom Pynchon School of "Hey! Look What I Can Do!" Writing), and there's writing that I think is great because of the emotional connections forged by it (e.g. Nabokov's Lolita--who'da thought you could sympathize with a pedophile?). I think they're both valid, though...what I'm striving against is the whole "good/bad" dichotomy, or in this case, the "worthwhile/masturbatory" dichotomy. Ultimately, these sorts of criticisms are mere value judgements; entirely subjective and, to my mind, narrow.

And what do you mean by "just" masturbatory? Everyone does it, after all... :cool:

BenBrown

First Post
Impeesa said:
BenBrown - don't mean to be picky, but for 'natural iambic pentameter' you've got an awful lot of dactylic feet liberally sprinkled around. :D

--Impeesa--

It's hard enough to get the lines to scan
And stay on topic--both at the same time.
While on the fly there is no time to plan.
Imagine if I'd tried to make it rhyme.
Without revision (see the other thread)
I'm not going to come up with sterling verse.
I could have written lengthy prose. Instead,
I made a choice: poetical and terse.
And as for making verbs and nouns agree,
I must admit I missed that one up there.
I will do better next time, and you'll see!
(You will, because I certainly will share.)
But I don't think that one completely stank,
Although it's true, the verse was pretty blank.

Remove ads