• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Goodman Games To Reincarnate Jennell Jaquays' Caverns of Thracia

Game designer Jennell Jaquays has announced that Goodman Games will be reviving her 1979 Caverns of Thracia adventure for D&D 5E and its own DCC RPG. The Greek-themed adventure is set in a detailed dungeon, and was originally published by Judges Guild. After over two years of biting my tongue and ignoring friends' questions, I can finally share this news. In addition to owning Dark Tower...

Game designer Jennell Jaquays has announced that Goodman Games will be reviving her 1979 Caverns of Thracia adventure for D&D 5E and its own DCC RPG. The Greek-themed adventure is set in a detailed dungeon, and was originally published by Judges Guild.

EE19ED9E-655D-4119-B2C8-17A547AB26BA.jpeg

After over two years of biting my tongue and ignoring friends' questions, I can finally share this news.

In addition to owning Dark Tower, the game adventure that I created 43 years ago for Judges Guild; Goodman Games also owns The Caverns of Thracia... which some fans consider to be the better of my two Judges Guild mega-dungeon/campaign adventures.

It will eventually be getting the same treatment as Dark Tower as a Goodman Games Original Adventures Reincarnated product

Dark Tower, another of Jaquays' Judges Guild modules, is currently on Kickstarter with three weeks to go.

Yes, just my guess. 7 isn't even fully distributed yet, 8 still being written (not sure as I didn't back that one), and somehow they've squeezed in another book whilst running 8? It just doesn't follow their normal publishing timelines of OAR. Maybe they worked on it in parallel with 7 with Jennell? I'm happy if I'm wrong, this one is a must buy :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, just my guess. 7 isn't even fully distributed yet, 8 still being written (not sure as I didn't back that one), and somehow they've squeezed in another book whilst running 8? It just doesn't follow their normal publishing timelines of OAR. Maybe they worked on it in parallel with 7 with Jennell? I'm happy if I'm wrong, this one is a must buy :)
7 was significantly delayed, if 9 is less ambitious than 7 (which was maximally ambitious), then it is very possible they finished the design work on 9 while doing logistics for 7...and with the original author having passed, they might have not had the desire for a big Kickstarter.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Goodman Games said:
A complete setting that supports a full-year campaign and takes your characters from levels 1 to 10. Includes an extensive dungeon, the ruins, and an overland archipelago. A thousand-year-old dungeon mystery waiting to be solved. Interact with factions to reveal level-by-level backstory. Featuring combat, exploration, and social interaction across 6 vast dungeon levels, including:
  • 280+ encounter areas
  • 125+ new monsters
  • 20+ new magic items, spells, and curses

It'd be fun to run this using Theros or a comparable Greek myth sourcebook. Ooh, and maybe the Mediterranean Monsters bestiary to replace some of the generic stuff.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I reckon those Amazon and B&N pages are errors from distributors. It won't be out until well into next year
This has become increasingly common over the last couple decades or more. I have no idea what some distributors are smoking, but in genre fiction, no author I know is really surprised to see preorder listings for books that are not yet edited, or written, or that have been cancelled outright. I’ve seen editors and agents discussing the question “Right, who lets them know he died this time?”, and not as a joke. I understand it’s similarly ugly in music, comics, and computer gaming. This goes well beyond occasionally getting a date wrong.

Remove ads

Remove ads