Formian CR...huh?

Napftor

Explorer
I don't know how often these guys are used, but my question is in reference to the Worker Formians. They are listed as a CR 1/2, but I'm just not convinced. Sure they don't do much damage or have many hit points, but their AC is 17, speed is 40 ft., barely flat-footed, many immunities, and hefty resistances to fire, electricity, and sonic attacks.

Has anyone used these creatures enough to lend an opinion? Or I'll take other educated guesses.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Napftor said:
I don't know how often these guys are used, but my question is in reference to the Worker Formians. They are listed as a CR 1/2, but I'm just not convinced. Sure they don't do much damage or have many hit points, but their AC is 17, speed is 40 ft., barely flat-footed, many immunities, and hefty resistances to fire, electricity, and sonic attacks.

Has anyone used these creatures enough to lend an opinion? Or I'll take other educated guesses.

The main reason is that they aren't hard to kill. One hit from a melee type and they are probably dead.

Against melee types they effectively a 1st level warrior in half plate wielding a dagger.

They also only have a +3 attack bonus and do only 1d4+1 damage.

Against a spellcaster they could be kind of touch though. (Although even at 1st level a wizard or sorcerer could kill one with a magic missile.)

JCLabelle

First Post
They're on the strong side for a CR 1/2 creature, but not strong enough to stand up to a CR 1 ; compare them for example to a Gnoll, a riding dog or an heavy horse.

Napftor

Explorer
Thanks gang. Knew I could count on you to reaffirm my beilef that this was not an occasion to add more errata. :)

I was thinking of using them in a non-fantasy setting (i.e. Dragonstar) and was concerned about the resistances. The faces of players as they blast the ant-men with fire and electric type weapons and nothing happens should be priceless.

gfunk

First Post
Speaking of Formians, how 'bout that Formian Taskmaster? Our party just gained 8th level spells and SM VIII rocks! With the Taskmaster you can dominate any living creature of Large size or smaller. As an added bonus, the ability is supernatural meaning no AoO and no SR!

A lot of fun!

Remove ads