• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does energy resistance stack?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
CRGreathouse said:
DR doesn't stack, even if it's of the same type, unless it specifically says so. Most DR X/-- come with a stacking tag, but that doesn't mean they stack by default... in fact, the opposite is true.

Right.

If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

-Hyp.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Right, oops, I forgot to add " In our game..." at the beginning of that post.
We allow DR to stack if it's the same type.

-Tatsu

Darth K'Trava

First Post
solientious said:
I think Hypersmurf is right. I recall an articale which discussed stacking of DR if they are same type, the best would apply.

That would be the normal case. But I'm not sure of stacking energy resistance from two different class features.

terror

Villager
DR of the same type DOES stack and it doesn't need to say it specificially does.

DR from a spell and an item and permenant passive do not stack with each other, and the first two don't stack from similar sources.

But multiple forms of PERMENANT DR, of the same type, DO stack and always have.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
DR of the same type DOES stack and it doesn't need to say it specificially does.

DR from a spell and an item and permenant passive do not stack with each other, and the first two don't stack from similar sources.

But multiple forms of PERMENANT DR, of the same type, DO stack and always have.
While I realize this is a mega thread necromancy, I do want to correct you on this. Since this thread has the Pathfinder tag, this is the rule: "If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation."

As for energy resistance, the rules are not super clear here, but the best quote is: "If you have more than one type of resistance that would apply to the same instance of damage, use only the highest applicable resistance value."

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It might have the Pathfinder tag, but the OP is from 2004 and Pathfinder didn't exist back then.
Well the 3.5 SRD claims that, for DR at least, the rule is still: "If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation."

The Rules Compendium states that energy resistance doesn't stack on page 48.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Fair enough. I'll admit that I haven't played 3.x or PF in quite some time. I was merely pointing out that the OP wasn't a PF question, but it appears that your answer applies to 3.5 :)

Remove ads