OSR Blacklight, a Shadowdark supplement

Hey everyone,

Since I saw Shadowdark being discussed here, I was reminded I recently wrote a small supplement for it myself. It's called Blacklight, and it's about a modern day secret agency that combats strange, extra-dimensional forces. Mainly inspired by stuff like the SCP Foundation, Silent Hill, Stranger Things, Alan Wake, and other things like that. Check it out here if you want!

BlacklightCoverFinal2.jpg

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Very late to this thread, but just wanted to pop in and let folks know that I picked up Blacklight and absolutely love it.

Here's a mini-review:

I'd been poking around for a game to run an SCP-style game of Mobile Task Force members (mix of military and scientists) investigating a few "anomalies" and possibly some portals to adjacent "realities" like The Backrooms and such. I didn't have a coherent story in my head yet, just some set pieces in a rogue military laboratory using a device to access The Backrooms themselves, and a short list of what SCP creatures I planned to use.

For game systems I'd considered Cortex (my favorite system), but I didn't have a clear enough picture of the themes involved and how the characters would affect them/be affected by them, which is pretty much what you need for Cortex to sing. I'm not a big Delta Green or percentile system fan, and while I wanted there to be a focus on tactical action stuff at points, I didn't want that to be the only thing, so both sides of that took out a few other options that otherwise would've been strong contenders: Savage Worlds is too action-heavy for my tastes, Gumshoe is too action-lite. I'm not a Fate person; anything Fate I would rather just use Cortex. I've been a huge fan of Death In Space, CY_Borg, and Vast Grimm, so I was considering hacking those together.

Then I found Blacklight.

Not only does it have everything I wanted, it has some really neat stuff I hadn't considered, too. The classes and gear are all the highlights you could ever need. Leveraging Shadowdark monsters for various cryptid-like monsters works like a charm, especially if one has Unnatural Selection, an expansion for Shadowdark with a host of new monsters. But even better, there's a great list of "alternate realities" that are simply reskinned concepts like The Backrooms, but they are very thematically reframed, allowing you to bring a lot of other settings to bear as alternate realities in the game world. The reframing does a lot of great work that parallels various SCP origins, so that ties everything together very nicely. On top of that, the class abilities -- which I already mentioned liking -- are extraordinarily diverse and well-written, allowing for that perfect mix of combat and investigative abilities across the spectrum. Non-military characters won't feel completely out of their element in a fight, and likewise the tactical characters will still have fun stuff to do during investigations.

I'll be using Blacklight for this campaign now without a doubt, and without any house rules of note, which is an extreme rarity for me as a constant system tinkerer and game designer. I've already backed @Scrying Dutchman 's Modern Necessities so I can have more gear and ideas to bring to bear for the game. It's perfect for what I wanted, and I can't recommend it enough.

Very late to this thread, but just wanted to pop in and let folks know that I picked up Blacklight and absolutely love it.

Here's a mini-review:

I'd been poking around for a game to run an SCP-style game of Mobile Task Force members (mix of military and scientists) investigating a few "anomalies" and possibly some portals to adjacent "realities" like The Backrooms and such. I didn't have a coherent story in my head yet, just some set pieces in a rogue military laboratory using a device to access The Backrooms themselves, and a short list of what SCP creatures I planned to use.

For game systems I'd considered Cortex (my favorite system), but I didn't have a clear enough picture of the themes involved and how the characters would affect them/be affected by them, which is pretty much what you need for Cortex to sing. I'm not a big Delta Green or percentile system fan, and while I wanted there to be a focus on tactical action stuff at points, I didn't want that to be the only thing, so both sides of that took out a few other options that otherwise would've been strong contenders: Savage Worlds is too action-heavy for my tastes, Gumshoe is too action-lite. I'm not a Fate person; anything Fate I would rather just use Cortex. I've been a huge fan of Death In Space, CY_Borg, and Vast Grimm, so I was considering hacking those together.

Then I found Blacklight.

Not only does it have everything I wanted, it has some really neat stuff I hadn't considered, too. The classes and gear are all the highlights you could ever need. Leveraging Shadowdark monsters for various cryptid-like monsters works like a charm, especially if one has Unnatural Selection, an expansion for Shadowdark with a host of new monsters. But even better, there's a great list of "alternate realities" that are simply reskinned concepts like The Backrooms, but they are very thematically reframed, allowing you to bring a lot of other settings to bear as alternate realities in the game world. The reframing does a lot of great work that parallels various SCP origins, so that ties everything together very nicely. On top of that, the class abilities -- which I already mentioned liking -- are extraordinarily diverse and well-written, allowing for that perfect mix of combat and investigative abilities across the spectrum. Non-military characters won't feel completely out of their element in a fight, and likewise the tactical characters will still have fun stuff to do during investigations.

I'll be using Blacklight for this campaign now without a doubt, and without any house rules of note, which is an extreme rarity for me as a constant system tinkerer and game designer. I've already backed @Scrying Dutchman 's Modern Necessities so I can have more gear and ideas to bring to bear for the game. It's perfect for what I wanted, and I can't recommend it enough.
Oh wow, thank you! That's really awesome to hear. I've been considering doing a further expansion to Blacklight once I get Modern Necessities wrapped up, so hearing it be so well received definitely gives me the drive to. I also still need to set up the POD version. I had done so before, but then had to fix some mistakes, and never got around to re-doing the POD process, haha.

Again, thank you though! I'm very flattered.

Remove ads