• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charity crowdfunding - The Biggest Brazilian RPG Publisher is underwater

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
Dear TTRPG players,

I'm not sure if you've heard about the massive flood that has devastated Brazil, specifically the state of Rio Grande do Sul (RS). To provide some context, here is an English article from the BBC: Brazil floods: Hundreds of Rio Grande do Sul towns under water.

I also bring some images to give a sense of the damage. There is still no estimate of the total area affected, but 85% of the municipalities in the state of Rio Grande do Sul have already been hit. Folks: if Rio Grande do Sul were a state in the USA, it would be the 8th largest, comparable to Nevada and larger than Colorado. It would be the 11th largest country in Europe, larger than the United Kingdom. It is considered the country's worst flooding in over 80 years. It's a horrible situation.

05.05.2024_-_Sobrevoo_das_áreas_afetadas_pelas_chuvas_em_Canoas_-_53700500641.jpg

1000028273.png

For us, TTRPG players, we have a very important case. Jambô Publishing, which publishes the Tormenta RPG, is located right in the capital of RS, Porto Alegre, which was hit hard by the disaster.

Tormenta is a high fantasy RPG, which started as a small RPG magazine campaign setting, whose current system is based on the classic d20 (especially the Star Wars Saga). It is undoubtedly the largest Brazilian RPG. Even without an English version, it managed to occupy the top 10 of the most played systems on Roll20 in 2021. Its latest edition, launched in 2019 via crowdfunding, raised about $373,000 dollars from 6,352 backers - this s a country where the D&D PHB costs 14% of the minimum wage (and about half of the jobs pay close to that).

The general director of Jambô, Guilherme Dei Svaldi, announced that "The publisher itself was hit, as our stock was flooded and many books are underwater. Much worse than that, some of our collaborators lost everything, their homes taken by the flood."

They just launched a new national crowdfunding campaign, through the Catarse platform. According to Svaldi, "the book is ready and would be put on pre-sale on May 6th. However, due to the catastrophe that Rio Grande do Sul is going through, we decided to launch it in the form of crowdfunding, in order to raise whatever is possible to help people affected by the floods. This is the way we found for us and our community to help the victims of the disaster."

For those who are able to help spread the word (unfortunately it's 100% in Portuguese), the link to the initiative is Jornada Heroica: Guerra Artoniana. By the way, this book should be excellent, because it deals with a campaign about a war that happened in the Tormenta setting, and that changed the entire political map of the setting.

This situation in Brazil is historic, it has destroyed the lives of thousands of people, and it will shape the future of one of the richest states in the country. No part of our society was immune: not even our hobby.

Best regards!

PS: To get information in english about how you can support the victims, here is the link: How you can help victims of the Rio Grande do Sul floods

002.png

That looks far worse than what I'd thought from the very limited US coverage of the disaster, but that's not surprising. Really need to use as many news sources as possible to get even a vague idea of the facts worldwide, these days more than ever.

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
That looks far worse than what I'd thought from the very limited US coverage of the disaster, but that's not surprising. Really need to use as many news sources as possible to get even a vague idea of the facts worldwide, these days more than ever.
Fortunately, the death toll isn't alarming as in other natural disasters occuring throughout thw world, but in terms of economic, health, housing, etc things are extremely dire.

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
Karen Soarele, one of the main developers of Tormenta, just released some videos of the disaster:

"Video 1: Recorded on May 9, two blocks from the Jambô office, I was on top of the viaduct. The water mirror shown in the previous video has DISAPPEARED. We're hoping the water doesn't reach our office."

"Video 2: Recorded on May 6th, in the same location as video 1, except I was under the viaduct. Flooding began to invade the water surface. Notice the little white bridge that appears in videos 1 and 2 to see the difference in water level."

"Video 3: Recorded on May 4th, four blocks from the Jambô store. That day, I couldn't get to the store, as the water got deeper ahead. After that day, the level of Guaíba rose another 1 meter and 20 cm in height. Our stock was completely submerged."

Remove ads